Favorite Holiday Recipes

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by DuckLady, Nov 7, 2007.

1. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Post your traditional and your favorites!

To keep the thread clean, I wil remove any posts that are not recipes.
    If you have questions about a recipe, PM the person who posted it and if it is something that they can clarify, then they can edit their post.

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

This is called HEAVENLY RICE very easy....

Cook about 2 cups of rice ( makes 4 cups)
    take one can of crushed pineapple...large size can..and mix into the rice. Let sit over night in the fridge.( the rice will absorb the juices)
    Next day, add one tub of Cool whip..mix it in well...then back in the fridge for about an hour.
    My kids loved this...and it keeps well for 2 or 3 days ( IF it lasts)

3. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    Everyone might already know this.....but just in case. It is my sons favorite. He likes to sample it while its warm with ice cream. I like my well chilled.

Super easy apple sauce

Chop as many apples as you want
    (any kind you like, into bite size pieces)
    Put in sauce pan with
    1/4 cup water and a 1/4 cup of sugar per 5 apples
    Add cinnamon -to taste
    I add fresh grated nutmeg (optional)

Cook on medium and stir often simmer until water has boiled out and apples are mushy. Chill in fridge. Good for quite a few days.

The nice thing is you can adjust this recipe to taste easily. It is pretty sweet as written. If you want it sweeter add more sugar, if you like it tart add less. Also if you like chunky applesauce leave the apples a little bigger, if you like it smoother mash them up at the end. enjoy

4. ml

ml Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    Some one gave me these one xmas. Super easy and great to eat.

Saltine Toffee Cookies

INGREDIENTS:
    4 ounces saltine crackers
    1 cup butter
    1 cup dark brown sugar 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
    3/4 cup chopped pecans

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).

2. Line cookie sheet with saltine crackers in single layer.
    3. In a saucepan combine the sugar and the butter. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Immediately pour over saltines and spread t cover crackers completely.
    4. Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top. Let sit for 5 minutes. Spread melted chocolate and top with chopped nuts. Cool completely and break into pieces.

5. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Sausage Balls!!!

I don't use recipes, I just make them so let me see if I can get this right.

1 pound of hot sausage (like Jimmy Dean)
    1 pound of cheddar cheese (shredded)
    about 1/2 cup of flour
    about 1/4 cup of water

Mix all this together in a large bowl

Grab up some of the mixture and roll into a ball about the size of a pingpong ball.

Take a baking sheet with sides, very important these are greasy lil things so the baking sheet needs sides to keep grease from getting all over your oven. Place the balls onto the sheet about 1 inch apart.

I think I usually set the oven for 400-450 and then I watch to make sure they're cooked. I never time anything.

If these directions seem sketchy...I think they sell frozen sausage balls in the grocery store now. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  6. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Here is one for you! This one is dangerous!!! Chocolate lovers will love this!!!!!! It is a long process to make... but oh is it so worth it!!!!!!!!

Holliday Chocolate Shock
    Items needed
    16 oz box Chocolate pudding
    32 0z Cool Whip
    Oreo Cookie Crust (or Gram Cracker Crust)
    1 ½ Cup Milk
    11.75 oz Jar Hershey Hot Fudge
    Hershey Chocolate Bar (frozen)

1. Prepare crust according to package (i.e. brush on egg white, bake) & cool
    2. Heat hot fudge (approx. 3 tablespoons) so it is easy to spread - spread on sides and bottom of cooled crust – immediately place in freezer to let chocolate harden

3. Prepare Pie mix
    Choc Pudding
    1 ½ cups milk (use a little more if needed)
    16 oz Cool Whip

Whisk together chocolate pudding and milk until smooth and creamy, blend in cool whip and mix together

4. Pour mixture into frozen crust – place in freezer for approx 5 hours or until firm
    5. Heat hot fudge (approx 3 to 4 tablespoons) pour over pudding – Immediately place in freezer for approx an hour.
    6. Spread remaining Cool Whip over pie
    7. Grate Hershey chocolate bar over cool whip - freeze for another hour or two until firm
    8. Drizzle warm Hot fudge over top – place in freezer until approx 15 minutes before serving. Let thaw – serve

** The Gram cracker crust in place of the Oreo crust will tone down the chocolate**
    **Freezing the Chocolate bar will keep it from melting in your hand as you grate**

One small slice goes along way!!!

7. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    BEST DANG CORNBREAD DRESSING EVER

1- 6oz package corn bread mix, prepared per directions about 3 day ahead of time, crumble it up in big chunks and leave it

1/3 C butter

1/2 C chopped celery

1/2 C chopped onion

2 eggs

1 tsp poultry seasoning

1/2 tsp pepper

1 1/4 C chicken broth

Add any extra seasoning that you like. ( garlic powder, cumin)

-In skillet melt butter, cook onions and celery stirring until tender.

-In large bowl combine onion mixture, cornbread, and remaining ingredients, mix well.

-Cook in crockpot on low for about 4-5 hours. Stir every once in a while and if it gets dry or drier than you like, add more chicken stock.

I usually triple this recipe for my big family and it will fit in my big crockpot. I love this dressing because it is not dry.

ENJOY

8. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    This is a favorite holiday recipe and I always get requests for these cookies!!!

OLD- FASHIONED GINGERSNAPS

3/4 C Butter
    1 C Sugar
    1 Egg
    1/4 C Molasses
    2 C Flour
    2 tsp Baking Soda
    1 tsp EACH: Ground Cinnamon
    Ground Cloves
    Ground Ginger
    1/4 tsp Salt
    Additional Sugar

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg and molasses. Beat well. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and salt. Gradually add to creamed mixture. Mix well. Chill dough until easy to handle. Roll into 1 1/4" balls and roll in sugar. Place 2" apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375 for about 10 minutes. The edges will be firm and the surface will crack. Cool on wire racks.

I like to use stones to bake on because the bottoms don't get dark. Also, be sure not to overbake cookies. They should be soft when you remove them from the oven and will harden as they cool.

9. GrayRoo

GrayRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    Chandler, Arizona
    Harnley’s Cranberry Cloud

It’s sweet-tangy-creamy-tart-crunchy.

email me and I will send the recipe to you.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  10. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Pumpkin Bread

This recipe makes 2 loaves, may be cut in half:

1 cup corn oil
    4 beaten eggs
    2/3 cups water
    2 cups canned pumpkin
    3 1/2 cups sifted flour
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp nutmeg
    1 tsp cinnamon
    2 tsp baking soda
    3 cups sugar
    1/2 cup golden raisans
    1/2 cup chopped nuts

Grease & flour two long loaf pans or three standard loaf pans. Mix following wet ingredients: corn oil, eggs, water and pumpkin. Add the following dry ingredients: flour, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, baking soda and sugar. To combined mixture, add raisans and nuts. Bake one hour at 350*. Will stay moist for days.

*you can make this recipe into mini loaves to give away.

It is very good with homemade whipped cream. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by