Favorite Holiday Recipes

Baked sweet potatoes:

Microwave or bake sweet potatoes just like you would bake a regular potato.

In a very hot frying pan with some olive oil, fry sliced onions and green peppers till slightly browned but not mushy. Use about 1 large onion and 1 green pepper per two sweet potatoes.

Split the baked sweet potatoes, top with fried onions and peppers, add a BIG dollop of sour cream and a drizzle of the frying oil, salt & pepper to taste.

Generic chowder recipe, can be used with leftover turkey:

Fry up 5-7 strips of thick-cut bacon. Take out the bacon, crumble it and set it aside. Veggie version, substitute about 1/3 c. olive oil. Fry one large finely-chopped onion in the grease. Stir in about 1/4 c. regular all-purpose flour till it gets pasty. Gradually stir in 2 cups stock (veggie, turkey, chicken, clam juice, whatever you've got) and 2 cups milk, stirring to make it smooth. Bring to a simmer, then add a couple of bay leaves and cubed potatoes, corn, leftover shredded turkey, egg noodles, sliced carrots, the bacon if you've got it, basically anything you've got laying around. I've put oysters, shrimp, clams, faux veggie chicken, beans, all sorts of things in this. Simmer till everything is cooked and the soup thickens up a little bit. If you want to do a quickie version, you can cook any raw stuff in the microwave, dump it in and let simmer for 15 minutes. Add salt & pepper to taste, plus 2 tsp. dried thyme. Simmer just a couple more minutes, fish out the bay leaves, and serve with crusty bread or leftover reheated cornbread.

My Mom's recipe

Turkey and Dressing Recipe

Recipe is for 12lbs Turkey
Cook Turkey per instructions
Take meat off of the neck, crush liver, gizzard and give it to the dog.
I tear up the wings and legs because no one would eat those in our family so I put it in the dressing.

Double the cornbread recipe
Crush cornbread- when it cools

Boil 8 eggs (6 for dressing, 2 for eating)

Mix In Bowl:
2 cans of Cream of chicken soup
2 cans of chicken broth soup
Turkey
Crushed cornbread
6 boiled eggs, chopped up

Add if affordable:
2 chopped onions
Sage
Paprika
Poultry seasoning
1 batch of celery

Dressing should be semi soupy
Grease the pan
350 in oven about 35-45 min or until golden brown.
-------------------------------------

I make this, not just at holiday time, but about once every month, since we both love it.

Coconut Cream Pie

INGREDIENTS
1 (9 inch) deep dish pie crust, baked
2/3 cup white sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp. salt
3 cups milk
4 egg yolks, beaten
2 tbsp. butter, softened
4 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup shredded coconut

DIRECTIONS
1. In a large saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Mix well, then slowly whisk in milk and egg yolks. Cook over medium heat, stirring nearly constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat.
2. Stir butter and vanilla extract into mixture. Add shredded coconut and mix thoroughly. Pour immediately into pie shell.
Chill at least 2 hours before serving.

I garnish mine with a little toasted coconut sprinkled over the top.

**I also have recipes for Key Lime Cake, Southern Style Pineapple Cake (NOT upside down PA cake), and my Dad's super secret New York Style Cheesecake (70 year old recipe). If you would like any of those just send me a PM or email and I'll post them here. Enjoy!

Easy Microwave Peanut Brittle

1 C sugar
1/2 C white corn syrup
1C dry-roasted peanuts
1t butter
1t vanilla
1t baking soda, sifted

In 1 1/2 quart casserole (microwave safe) stir together sugar and corn syrup. Microwave at high 4-5 min. Mixture should come to vigorous boil about 1 minute 15 seconds. Stir in nuts and continue to microwave boil at high for 2 to 5 minutes until nuts start to brown. Add butter and vanilla and stir to blend well. Microwave at high 1 to 2 more minutes, until syrup is very thick at this point threads should form when syrup drips from a spoon. Carefully remove candy from microwave and add baking soda. Gently stir candy until it is uniformly light and foamy. Quickly pour mixture onto non-stick or lightly greased baling sheet. Spread as much as possible. Let cool 30 minutes.

This is really yummy.
smile.png
I don't think it's as jaw breaking as some peanut brittle, which makes it nice to eat.

My mom and sisters always made Bunuelos during Christmas...and New Years! They are SO good with coffee or hot chocolate!!! Not to be technical but, I always have mine with "Abuelita's" or "Ibarra's" Mexican hot chocolate. I think it is because of the spices in the chocolate...dunno?

Here's the recipe as I make it. They turn out SO good!!!
love.gif

Recipe Ingredients (Yields about 20 bunuelos):

3 cups flour, sifted twice
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup butter or margarine
oil for frying

Recipe Instructions:

In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, beat one tbsp sugar, eggs and butter. Stir in milk. Add milk mixture to flour. If dough is too dry, add a few more drops of milk. Knead dough until it is very smooth. Shape into 20 balls. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes.

Heat oil one-inch deep in large skillet to 360 F.

Roll each ball out on a lightly-floured board into very thin six-inch circle. Fry buñuelos until golden brown, turning once.

Drain on absorbent towels.

Sprinkle with sugar-cinnamon topping while warm. Another sister of mine used to dust them with confectioners powdered sugar...that was yummy too! Your call.

(They can be frozen if bagged in plastic bags but I never do...they don't last! LOL)

Peace-

Pedro

Last edited:
Pecan Pralines made in the microwave!

2 cups parched pecans
2 cups sugar
2/3 cup carnation milk/ 1 small can
1/2 stick margarine
2 tps vanilla
Carmelize 1/2 cup sugar in skillet,
Cook balance of sugar,milk, and margarine in microwave bowl for 7 minutes.
Add vanilla and pecans stir and cook additional 3 min.
Pour onto wax paper, let cool and break into portions, or pour out portions, if your a neat nut cut into squares
wink.png

Cooking time varies slightly with micro wave oven power!

This is my moms recipe and it works every time..................... for her! Works for me most times...hmm is she telling me everthing?
It is her praline recipe after all. and G'mas like to be needed!

Here's my granny's recipe

Coconut Pie

3 eggs, beaten
2 cups sugar
2 cups canned milk, scalded
1/2 cup melted butter
2 Tablespoons flour
1/2 Tsp baking powder
1 cup coconut
1 Tsp vanilla

Scald milk and let cool till warm. Beat eggs well, add sugar, milk, flour and baking powder. Add butter, vanilla and coconut. Pour into 2 deep dish pie shells and bake for 50- 60 min. at 325 degrees

Last edited:
My dad was from Charleston SC and a lot of their food was influenced by the Cajuns, this recipe has been handed down through the generations of my family. I hope you love it much as I do. Laura

Red Rice

1/2 can tomato paste
water
6 strips bacon, cubed
3 tsp. salt
dash of pepper
2- 14 oz cans of crushed tomatoes
2-3 tsp. sugar
2 onions finely chopped
1 green bell peper chopped
2 cups uncooked rice, not quick rice
1 bay leaf

fry bacon, remove from pan and sau'te onions and bell pepper in bacon grease. Measure liquid from tomatos and add enough water to make 3 cups. Add to peppers and onions along with the stewed tomatos, tomato paste, salt,sugar, pepper, rice and bay leaf.
Cook slowly stirring until liquid has been absorbed, transfer to a double boiler and steam for 30 minutes. Add crumbled bacon and stir. Cook another 30 to 45 min. Serves 6 to 8

These are a new one for me.but one of the very best butter sugar cookies I have yet to make.so good....all I do is sprinkle a bit of sugar on top.no frosting needed
big_smile.png

Butter Sugar Cookies

2 2/3 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter,softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
Sift dry ingredients together,set aside
Cream, butter,sugar , add eggs and stir
add vanilla and stir
Chill for a bit if used for cookie cutters or drop immediately by spoon.
Bake only until very light brown on edges.
375*
Frosting
1/2 cup butter softened
1/8 tsp salt
4 cups powdered sugar
2 egg yolks , beaten
1 tsp vanilla
2 tlbs milk
Cream butter , add salt and sugar, stir
blend yolks and vanilla together and gradually add sugar mixture, lightly mixing after every addition, beat 3 min on high until stiff.
EAT EAT EAT
big_smile.png

DW is a wonderful cook and her roast turkey is the best I have ever had. The secret: she uses a roasting bag and does not over-cook.

She makes sure the bird is thoroughly defrosted. Ususally, she will stuff it with seasoned stuffing mix.

Inside the roasting bag she shakes a tablespoon of flour to keep it from sticking. Then she puts a sliced onion and some celery pieces for the bird to rest on. She rubs some butter on the top and sprinkles with salt and pepper. She places the bird in the bag in a roasting pan. The bag retains all the juices and makes clean-up that much easier.

Remember to follow the cooking instructions on the roasting bag box. Do not overcook! The bird should "rest" for 30 minutes (or half an hour - your choice
lol.png
) before carving.

It always comes out moist and the skin is golden brown.

Back
Top Bottom