Favorite Incubators?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GAChicken Chick, Jan 1, 2013.

1. GAChicken Chick

GAChicken Chick Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    Toccoa, GA
    I'm kinda shopping around for an incubator and I'm kinda leaning towards the Brinsea 20 Eco incubator. I need something a little lower priced, bout 2doz eggs or so. Also anyone on here know anything about incubating goose eggs? Our geese are close to a year old (mixed breeds, male is an african and females are buffs) and my mom was wondering about incubating their eggs though she read is was quite difficult and that they usually don't hatch.
    I've had a hovabator many years ago but it did not do well, I really don't want to go with one of those again. Any ideas or other brands?

2. dfish

dfish Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    Eastanollee, Ga
    Hey GAChicken I am looking hard for one also. I live in Eastanollee right next to you. I am thinking Brinsea, But am also leaning toward the Hova because of price I want it to be automatic. I have been doing the web surfing deal for days now. I think that I am more confused now, lol

3. GAChicken Chick

GAChicken Chick Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    Toccoa, GA
    Yea I think we are looking at a hovabator. It must have an auto-turner and be a forced-air model. My main question now is on the GQF website which incubator is the best stabilized? They don't have nearly as good descriptions as the brinsea website. We need something that does not need a perfectly stable room... My room isn't the most stable especially in the summer time.

Hey dfish! I actually live out between Martin and Toccoa... What breeds of chickens do you have? I remember an ad from the ga market bulletin last year for someone who had lavender orps out that way, I wish I could find them!

4. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    Hi, I have both the Eco20 and the Hovabator 1588, Both are good bators, the 1588 was truelly plug and play. The Eco 20 took a lot of fiddling with the temp to get it right, and the turning cradle broke after about 3 hatches. I never replaced it. For both bators I just tilt them side to side at least 2xs a day and it works great. I like the Hovabator a little better, it holds temp better if your power goes out, and holds more eggs. I hatch in cartons, which I don't think you could do with goose eggs, but the Eco20 will hold 24 with a carton, and the Hovabator 60+. I have them in a room that does not have real stable temp, and both do good at holding temp. I do more of a dry hatch & both hold humidity well , but with goose eggs you need to mist several times a day so either one should work , it just depends on how many eggs you want to hatch at a time. I think going bigger is always better.

5. dfish

dfish Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    Eastanollee, Ga
    Hey GaChicken Chick I went and got a used Hovabator 1602n with forced air and auto turner works great, But then I got a custom made cabniet which holds 126 eggs, I am selling the Hova with forced air and auto turner for $60.
    I will see if I can find the number for the gut with the LO's he is in Hartwell, We have Buff Orps, Ameraucana/EE's, Black and Blue Jersey giants, RIR, Buff and Gold laced Bramha's, and Blue and splash Barnevelders. You can find us on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/FishersFarmPoultryAndProduce. Take care!

6. tbridegroom

tbridegroom Out Of The Brooder

i have the brinsea eco 20 and auto turn i like ive only hatched one batch so far with only loosing 4 chicks im on my second batch right now.....im hoping azriel's turner was just a bad one cause i love mine the way it is i get upset when things i buy break

7. chippy123

chippy123 New Egg

Feb 1, 2013
    Although its small, I really like the brinsea mini advance. It can hold up to 7 chickens eggs and up to 12 quail eggs. Overall it's a great incubator for beginners. It has many automatic controls and is pretty small.

8. dawntolman

dawntolman New Egg

Feb 3, 2013
    do you still have this bator? I am a newbie but interested.

9. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    It ga chick doesn't buy this I would like it. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by