Favorite quail egg recipes for potluck...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by iamcuriositycat, Jul 21, 2010.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm taking quail eggs as an appetizer to a friend's birthday party, and just wondering what everyone's favorite cute quail egg recipes are? I want it to be obvious that they are teeny little eggs, so nothing that completely mashes them up or mixes them in with something so that they are unrecognizable.

We've taken plain boiled eggs before, and they were a hit, but I want to do something a little more elegant this time. I'm considering simply devilling them, but I'm open to other options. What would you do with them?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Pickled quail eggs with beet juice. They turn out a very pretty pink.
    I just steam some peeled sliced beets and boil the beet water with vinegar, pickling spices and a little sugar. Put the peeled, hard boiled quail eggs in the bottom of a jar and pour the pink pickling liquid over them.
    The easiest way to peel quail eggs is to soak them in vinegar for twelve hours after hard boiling them (turning every few hours). The shell will dissolve and then you can just peel off the 'skin'.
    It's cute food![​IMG]

3. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Thank you!! How long do they have to sit in the brine before they are pickled? The party is this Saturday, lol...

Thanks for the vinegar tip though--that's great to know. Peeling tiny little eggs for a party is kind of a pain...

And I agree--cute food! [​IMG]

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    They will taste pickled in a day. I made some and served them the next day. It was mild, but still pickled. Oh, I almost forgot. I put some chunks of fresh ginger in with the pickling liquid as well. You certainly don't have too, but it added a little extra zing.

5. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Oh, wow. That sounds yummy. The birthday "boy"'s wife is a personal chef--an extraordinary cook. I don't expect to compete with her, but I would like to serve up something a little special and unusual. I'm going to try this--pick up the ingredients tomorrow and pickle them tomorrow afternoon for Saturday. Thank you SOOO much!!

6. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Okay... pickling juice is on the stove prepping, eggs are boiled and peeled... will let you know how they turn out. I can't wait to try them!

7. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    "Red Hots" Cinnamon Candy = Key Ingredient

SWEET AND SOUR EGGS
    1½ cups pasteurized apple cider
    ½ cup cider vinegar
    1 package (about 12 oz.) red cinnamon candy
    1 tablespoon mixed pickling spice
    2 tablespoons salt
    1 teaspoon garlic salt