Favorite recipe for dust bath box?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by tallyho, Sep 25, 2010.

1. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    What do you use for dust baths? Mine generally just bath in the garden dirt (nice holes all over the place!). But I think I will provide a box with DE and ...what else should I include as a general preventative? What do they really like to roll around in?

thanks!

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

They LOVE potting soil. I'd add some sand and DE to it.

I saw a "dust-bathing" bin somebody made in their run area, which I thought was a grand idea. (Currently navigating the moon-scape front yard where all the dust bathing spas have been built by the girls...)

Of course, I dunno if they'd stop digging those holes just because a "perfect spot" was built for them. [​IMG]:fl

3. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Isn't DE bad for the birds to inhale? I was told that its crystal edges are horrible on the lungs if inhaled. I'm hesitant to let mine bathe in it. I do use it under their roost and in areas where they don't dust bathe. It was just a thought of mine.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    A mix of DE, wood ash, sand and dry mulch in any proportions is the ideal mix for a dust bath I've found. They love it! I don't know what it is about adding the mulch, but my ladies can't resist it. They used to dig up my gardens (which are mulched) until I got wise and gave them their own mulched bath area. Just don't use cedar mulch which is bad for chickens.

5. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    I mix DE, dirt, and sand...

But their favorite place to dustbathe is anywhere I don't want them to be [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    equal parts sand and peat moss

7. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

I use mostly potting soil and peat moss sprinkled with food-grade diatomaceous earth. Occasionally I sprinkle lots of Sevin powder over the top.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would go very easy on the amount of DE, just a sprinkle, because it's such a respiratory irritant. And good luck on getting them to use it!

9. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    What kind of sand do you use?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by