Favorite Thanksgiving recipe" swap thanks mama-cluck

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by gaited horse, Nov 22, 2008.

1. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    lets start the recipe swap

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  2. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    Grammu's Secret-Ingredient Candied Sweet Potatoes

Pour 4 large cans un-drained candied sweet potatoes into a high-sided pot and heat

Pour off all the juice but about 1/3, and whip with an electric mixer until mostly creamy

Now for the secret ingredient:

Pour in 1 cup of the best Eggnog you can find (do not use the kind with alcohol)

Add butter to your liking

Continue mixing until very creamy

Taste it and add a little more eggnog if you like, but be careful you don't get the mixture too liquid-y

Pour into a rectangular cake pan and spread evenly

Place small bits of butter all over the top

Sprinkle nutmeg and cinnamon over the top to your liking

Cover the whole thing with large marshmallows

Brown under the broiler

Watch it carefully or you will start a family tradition of burning the marshmallows every single year.

(I always use canned sweet potatoes - they taste just as good as fresh, and cooking is a lot faster)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  3. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    My own recipe, inspired in part by observations of Paula Deen and Sandra Lee. The latter I normally can't stand, so I was kind of surprised when I got an idea from her I liked! smile . (The idea was using part of a seasoning packet in a recipe).

Sauteéd Mushroom and Green Bean Casserole

Ingredients
    2 pkgs. washed and sliced fresh mushrooms (at least 2.5 cups)
    1 (4 oz.) can sliced baby portabella mushrooms, drained
    6 (14.5 oz.) cans French cut green beans, drained
    1 (26 oz.) can Cream of Mushroom soup
    1 (6 oz.) can French fried onions
    1 cup half and half
    1 packet French onion soup mix (you will only use 1 tbsp.)
    1 heaping tbsp. chopped garlic
    3 tsp. butter
    Fresh cracked black pepper (to taste)

Cooking Instructions

***Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.***

1. Melt butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add fresh mushrooms and portabellas. Stir and cover. Check and stir occasionally until the mushrooms are soft and slightly browned.
    2. Drain the liquid from the mushrooms and allow the pan to cool slightly.
    3. Return the mushrooms to the sauté pan, reducing the heat to low. Add 1 cup half and half, 1 heaping tbsp. chopped garlic, 1 heaping tbsp. of the French onion soup mix, and fresh cracked pepper to taste. Stir regularly until the mixture just begins to steam and bubble. Remove from heat.
    4. Add the mushroom mixture to a large glass baking dish (recommended 9 x 11").
    5. Add the French cut green beans and mushroom soup. Mix until all ingredients are well incorporated.
    6. Sprinkle French fried onions on top.
    7. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees until the casserole is warm and bubbly and the French fried onions are slightly browned (about 30-45 minutes, depending on your oven).

Enjoy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by