Favorite Tomato

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by TNBielefelder, Feb 9, 2016.

1. TNBielefelder

TNBielefelder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2015
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    What is your favorite kind of tomato? Do you buy plants or start from seeds?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I like the heirloom tomatoes. Tried a new one this year - "mortgage lifter', which was a highly productive flavorful dark pink fruit. Two other favorites of mine are 'Mr Stripey' and 'Cherokee Purple'. I have access to a local nursery that starts their own plants.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I have a few favorite tomatoes.
    (listed in no particular order)

Roma VF
    Brandywine (Red)
    Rutgers
    Campbell's 1327
    Beefsteak

I plant everything myself from seed. I get better plants that way.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I also love Rutgers. My dad absolutely hates it, says it's a worthless mis shapen, lacking in flavor, not worth growing shabby excuse for a tomato! To each his own. How bout Sun Gold? I love that one, rarely bring them into the house, though. Just graze on them in the garden!

5. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Brandywine is another favorite of mine.

6. TNBielefelder

May 11, 2015
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    I ordered some of the mortgage lifter seeds were they tasty? And what size did you get?

7. TNBielefelder

May 11, 2015
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    When do you start your seeds?

8. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They were the best tasting tomatoes that I grew last year. Fruits were large, firm, prolific, and lasted well.

1 person likes this.
  9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I buy starts from a local nursery that's affiliated with our county's developmentally delayed program. So much easier for me than starting from seed in my tiny trailer!

We like Early Girls cause, well, they're early. Not too big, but nicely prolific and get us going sooner on fresh maters. Beefsteak and Big Boys are classic hybrids I usually get a few plants of each.

Heirlooms I've had great luck with Arkansas Traveler, Cherokee Purple and Brandywine. Mortgage Lifter did well here also, as well as some Belgian Giant, I can't recall the exact name right off.

I like Romas for canning sauce, etc. We usually plant a few grape varieties, not sure of the exact name. We like the grape better than the cherry.

We do a good variety each year, and that's why I buy starts. It may not be the most cost effective, I'm not sure. But I don't need a whole seed packet's worth of one variety. Buying starts, I can get a 6 pack and split them with a friend if I don't want all of them.

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Most of my seeds come Stokes Seeds. My families been from them for years.
    I also deal with Burpee but don't buy near as much from Burpees as I do Stokes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by