Favorite Treat Dish

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by HeritageHens, Dec 26, 2010.

1. HeritageHens

HeritageHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Orygun
    Every morning, I give my girls chopped greens, leftovers (both solid and liquids), sprouts, etc. I am opposed to throwing this on the floor of their run. I used pumpkins when I got them for free but those are long gone. I then tried a ceramic food bowl from our deceased [​IMG] Bullmastiff (165 pounds - BIG bowl). The chickens left everything which I assume is because they didn't like pecking the hard surface.

What do you use successfully? I also want something that doesn't tip over easily and can be cleaned.

TIA!

2. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry about you dog..[​IMG] I just use ceramic cereal bowls and the chickens are fine with it. Maybe yours just need to get used to it.

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I use the disposable foil pie pans/turkey roasting pans and, if the chickens don't smash them into oblivion, I wash them out and reuse them.
    Also, those plastic type containers that ready made frozen lasagna comes in work great, too.
    I'm sorry about the loss of your dog. [​IMG]

4. BrewedInNh

BrewedInNh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Southern NH
    We use a galvanized 2 x 12 inch pan that we found in the pet section of Walmart for $2.99.

5. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    my treat dish is a big plastic saucer (the kind that collects water under a potted plant). I bought it at Lowes for $2.00 it was on clearance. The chickens have no issues eating from it.

6. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

Chick-fil-a chicken mini party platter [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by