Favorite treat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Meytchison, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Meytchison

Meytchison Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2014
    Oldsmar,Fl
    What are your birds favorite treats? Mine turn into little vultures over mealworms, they also love blueberries and weeds. They didnt care for tomatoes or corn on the cob too much.

2. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Mine just got done devouring some dried up homemade bread. I put it in a suet cake feeder that hangs from a roost in their run and they have fun pecking at it while it swings back and forth. They also enjoy oatmeal with raisins, watermelon, blueberries and yogurt.

Don't know if you've seen this or not, but here is a link to a handy treat list of things that are good treats as well as which things to avoid:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens

3. Meytchison

Meytchison Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2014
    Oldsmar,Fl
    It really amuses me how they act for the mealworms. They come running anytime we walk outside expecting their favorite treat. I have fed them while they are on a roost in the run and they'll fly up there when I walk up to it.

4. tcstoehr

tcstoehr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Canby, Oregon
    Blueberries seem to generate the most hysteria in my flock. Sunflower seeds, with or without hulls, are also highly prized. Two of my five hens will kill for dried mealworms, the other three won't eat them.

5. julesisthehen

julesisthehen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2014
    Watermelon is the crown jewel of my treats. Just not too much, or their poo gets a little watery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by