favorite treats for ducklings ???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by deanna&rich, Sep 2, 2009.

1. deanna&rich

deanna&rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2009
    chimacum, WA
    Hi, we just "inherited" some orphan ducklings about 4-5 weeks old. This forum has been great for helping us with feed, shelter, etc., but we can't find an answer to this Q?:

What are some favorite treats for your ducks ??
    So far ours will eat a baby slug (the full-size slugs die a long slow death since the ducklings pick at them but can't swallow them) [​IMG] .
    Can we give them any kitchen scraps, meat or fish? Someone told us that seedy whole-grain bread would be bad for ducks, because they don't have a crop. Is that true??

Thanks !!

2. duckboatprincess

duckboatprincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Mine love frozen peas. You have to thaw them out though. Chopped dandelion greens are a big hit too. I know some people ducks like hard boiled eggs, but mine won't touch them.

Also, ducks do have crops. They need grit like a lot of birds. The reason bread isn't recommended is because it has no nutrional value for them.

If you're going to feed your ducklings treats, make sure they have access to some grit as well. Good luck and enjoy your babies. You're gonna want a dozen more! [​IMG]

3. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Green Beans!

4. cluckincrazy

cluckincrazy Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2009
    Lakeland, FL
    Mine love spinach, cucumbers and watermelon.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Peas = duck crack

Thaw them out in some warm water. Or...throw them in to a warm bathtub...

6. duckface

duckface Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    the back of my horse
    When mine were ducklings they loved prepared plain oatmeal.

7. Violet22

Violet22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Central Coast, CA
    Chopped up Romaine, Collard and Turnip Greens.......anything green [​IMG]. Iceberg isn't that good because it doesn't have much nutritional value. I have grape vines, and they LOVE the leaves.
    And like everyone has said PEAS!! I give them corn too.

8. berdlips

berdlips Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2009
    japanese beetles, and when I cant let them out I will pick clover and grasses and make a ball of it and throw it in their water dish. I will try peas!

9. hendrix25

hendrix25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    GA
    my ducks' favorite treats are chopped tomatoes, corn niblets, and diced cheddar cheese. (Yep cheese) They use to love the eggs, but not now. Spinach use to be a favorite but not so much anymore either. As far as meat, they love minnows. I haven't attempted any thing else.

10. lovemeduckins

lovemeduckins Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2009
    Hot-n-humid farm!
    Thawed yet still cold frozen peas! Romaine lettuce. We live in the South so we have Cicadas and Crickets. My Pekins love to hunt their crickets. Just don't tell them we buy some now and then from the bait shop and let them go so the ducks can hunt them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by