??? Favorite way to feed your ducks and/or provide drinking water

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hoover67, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Hoover67

Hoover67 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Huntsville
    I have Muscovy ducks. I am always trying to find better more efficient ways to feed and water the animals. I just purchased chicken nipples for my quail and chickens. How do you provide fresh, clean water for your ducks. How to you feed them?

Michele:D

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I keep those black rubber bowls for my ducks. There is no way to keep the water clean, but they're plenty deep enough for them to clean out their bills and large enough for them to get into and stomp around in. Just change the water about 300 times a day. [​IMG]
    I feed them from a shallow plastic dishpan type thing.

3. cbohn80

cbohn80 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    nj
    i feed them with a regular chicken feeder, also i hand electric bug zapper over their pen so they can eat all the bugs they want. for water i found a 10 quart galvanized pail works the best so that they can submerge their whole head. also minnows can be thrown in for a treat. the bucket has to be rinsed and filled daily. i dont have any muscovys but this works well for me pekin, mallards and cayuga's

4. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:Lol...yes, I use the black rubber dishes...they work great...and the water in the spring,summer and fall is a kiddie pool and a rubbermaid tub...changed umpteen times a day if necessary! In winter, I use a stock tank heater in the kiddie pool and a heated water base to keep it from freezing.It's a bit costly but worth it to me!! Just fill it and forget it...

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    well mine are just ducklings(5wks) so i don't need huge amounts(yet) For the moment i have 3 bowls one is an old ceramic cat bowl and two are shallow clay pot saucers like the type you put underneath to 'collect' excess water. For water i have a small mason jar type waterer leftover from when they were brooding and i use this petmate pet waterer, it holds a fair bit of water and is deep enough for them to get there bills in. Obviously these methods won't last long term though but it works for now. [​IMG]

http://www.petmate.com/replendish-waterers

Those black rubber tubs will probably be used in the near furture... i have them all over as it is, for the horses, the barn cats etc.. super durable.. and come in a huge array of sizing.

6. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes I say forget the red/white feeders & waterers there only good for chickens and fine for starting ducklings. When my ducky was in the house still at age 7-8 weeks i noticed his beak not fitting very well in the metal tray feeder so i took a plastic butter container & cut a hole in the middle of the lid filled it with feed}}way better. And for the longest time him drinking from red/white waterer was soooo sloppy and they CANT get their entire bill under water so i found a container sturdy and big enough for the largest red/white waterer to sit in & only filled his water little over half way so the extra water went in the container and i could pick up the waterer while inside the container without spilling it. i made sure he didnt run out of water plus he drank what he spilt in the container. Also i put an old towel under the water area everyday it helped major. Also for the babies i now use small containers & cut circles in the lids and place them on a tray or the lids you put under your large plants to catch water, i put the babies water on that with a hand towel so water goes on towel then tray. Outside i use large thick plastic bowls for water and a square tub to put food in. ~ All Bought from the $ store. I Almost everyday empty and refill the pools but always at lease i will add water & let it run over. Water in pools/available 24/7 and No heater in pools. }}there are no heaters in the wild.. lol i did put warm water in pool for lucky ducky till he was 11 weeks old. ~Julie~

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by