Favourite Chicken Treat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by NineChickens, Mar 19, 2018.

1. NineChickens

NineChickens Chirping

May 23, 2017
    What's your chickens favourite treat(s)? I think my girls favourite is meal worms and plain yogurt. They go crazy for that stuf, especially the meal worms! :)

Cyprus likes this.
  2. ChicksLoveOregon

ChicksLoveOregon In the Brooder

Mar 19, 2018
    Central Oregon
    My chicken's absolute favorite treat is the earwigs they find when I flip rocks over for them in the summer.

They also like smashed pumpkins & watermelon and sprouted wheat\barley greens.

3. Theladiesandagentleman

Theladiesandagentleman First world chickens

Feb 23, 2018
    Roseville CA
    Offering mealworms to my chicks for the first time tonight. Will have the camera ready. :D

southdeb, WindRanch and Cyprus like this.
  4. Seaecho

Seaecho Songster

Oct 12, 2017
    High Desert, S. CA.
    Sometimes it takes them a while to catch onto mealworms if they've never had them before. Only took mine 2-3 days though! Mine also like raisins, grapes, bananas, and don't seem to care for yogurt or scrambled eggs. I'm a new chicken owner, so still experimenting.

NineChickens likes this.
  5. NineChickens

NineChickens Chirping

May 23, 2017
    Took mine (2 chicks) a minute to realize they were good, now they love them almost as much as the big girls! They chase each other around the brooder trying to steal them from each other

6. NineChickens

NineChickens Chirping

May 23, 2017
    I
    I found that my older girls love yogurt but the younger ones don’t seem to care for it. It might be a taste they pick up as they age?

7. X_and_Z

X_and_Z Chirping

Feb 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    My Coop
    Mice that they hunt on their own :jumpy

Of the things that I give them, live meal or super worms are hugely popular. I haven't tried live crickets or hornworms yet but I suspect that they would be greatly appreciated.

WindRanch likes this.
  8. Peppercorngal

Peppercorngal Songster

Feb 5, 2018
    Feather Falls, CA
    My hens love grapes the most and yogurt second. The little ones love dried meal worms the most and turn their noses up at yogurt! Tastes do change with age I guess! :frow

WindRanch likes this.
  9. Chelsa'sChicks

Chelsa'sChicks Songster

Aug 16, 2017
    Cut up grapes, tomatoes and mealworms are the favorites here. They also enjoy cut up left over spaghetti (with sauce) as a rare treat lol. Chickens can eat almost everything we can.. no avocados, beans or green potatoes though they are toxic.

10. Shepshill

Shepshill Songster

Feb 19, 2018
    New Jersey
    How early do people introduce chicks to berries and greens? I have given my chicks mealworms, scrambled eggs, and a little oatmeal, but I haven't tried any of the fruits or greens we give to our adults.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: