Favourite incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rosetinted, Nov 19, 2009.

1. rosetinted

rosetinted Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    England
    So I'm thinking of taking the plunge & getting an incubator.

What do you guys all use? [​IMG]

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    GQF Genesis 1588 is an easy to use small stryofoam bator and GQF Sportsman is a cabinet model which is very reliable.

3. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    I live in the UK as well, and I use the R-Com 20 Pro. This seems to be a commonly-used one here, I hear. I love it. Set the temp and humidity, make sure the turner is on, fill up the water reservoir every 3 days, and that is it!

~Cherlyn

4. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    I love my older Sportsman cabinet incubator, *but* I'd rather have an all digital model. If I had the money to BLOW, I'd buy one of these. My turkey raising peeps swear these are the BEST incubators made anywhere.....who knows, but they sure look cool~LOL

http://www.dominc.net/default.asp

5. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    One week into my first hatch in my new Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance with humidity pump. So far it is rock-solid stable!

6. rosetinted

Jun 20, 2009
    England
    Thankyou for all your replies!

Cherlyn, I was looking at the rcom at the farm shop the other day, I nearly bought it, but thought I'd better research it first!

The main thing I was worried about is the chicks wouldn't be able to hatch in some incubators.

Do you have to take the eggs out & put them elsewhere to hatch if you have a rcom 20?

Brinsea look basic & solid, I think my mother used to have one for hers eggs in the 80's. Tempting!

The cabinet one looks fab too tho, I'm going to have a look in a few online shops now.. thanks again [​IMG]

7. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

rosetinted,

Although I do not own one, I suspect that the BEST incubator available is the one built by BYC members, cbiblis and muddstopper.

The NEW Controller that they have designed seems to be far more advanced than anything currently on the market. And the "cabinet" is furniture quality.

[​IMG]

just my suspicions,
    -Junkmanme- [​IMG]

8. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Quote:Nope, you do not need to take them out - mine are hatching in them as we speak. You just turn the turner off. [​IMG]

~Cherlyn

9. Surehatch

Surehatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia
    Rosetinted - There are many different incubators available on the market, but the Hovabator range of incuabtors are ideal for beginners - they are easy to use and very relialble, especiall one like the Model 1588 with auto turner option. Here are some specifications on the hovabator 1588 egg incubator -

The GQF Hova Bator Model 1588 egg incubator includes with optional auto turner 1610 has the following unique features...

Pre-set, adjustable ELECTRONIC thermostat
    TURBO FAN for constant air circulation
    Incubator THERMOMETER– Measures incubation temperature
    Full incubation instructions
    1 YEAR MANUFACTURERS WARRANTEE
    Incubator Dimensions: 18'' x 18'' x 9 1/2'', 110 Volt AC, 40.3 Watt

For best incubation results I recommend that you buy the Automatic Egg Turner 1610 (For medium sized eggs and quail eggs) for the GQF Model 1588 egg incubator. Eggs need to be turned at least 3 times per day. By using the automatic egg turner you don’t have to worry about wasting time with turning eggs by hand.

The GQF Hova Bator Model 1588 features a Pre-set, adjustable ELECTRONIC thermostat. This thermostat is highly accurate and up to 100% incubation success can be achieved. The incubator is made from styrofoam. The turbo fan ensures that heat is evenly distributed in the incubator and that all eggs are heated equally. The constant airflow will ensure that eggs are well developed and that chicks are healthy when they hatch.

The GQF Hova-Bator Model 1588 with optional Auto Egg Turner 1610 also features a large clear plastic window which enables you to observe the hatching process from outside the incubator. The window is made of a durable double plate plastic with air space insulation to help eliminate moisture build-up, which would obstruct viewing.

The incubator can incubate up to 42 chicken, guinea fowl, pheasant, duck or parrot eggs at a time. The incubator can also be used toincubate other eggs of similar size. When you buy the GQF Model 1588 with the Automatic Egg Turner 1610, you will receive a universal egg tray and a quail egg tray. The incubator can incubate up to 120 quail eggs at a time. The incubator need not be fully loaded with eggs in order to work. You can always put fewer eggs in if you have less than 42 eggs.

The Sportsman is also a good option if you are looking for something more professional. The GQF Model 1502 Sportsman Incubator is a complete egg incubator and hatcher, so if you are just getting started with a small flock, all you need is this one incubator. The Sportsman Model 1502 Egg incubator is the ideal egg incubator for breeders looking to incubate larger quantities of eggs at a time. This egg incubator is made from durable materials that will ensure years of excellent service. Breeders using this incubator have reported extremely good hatch rates and have given us very positive feedback regarding its ease of use and durability.

The Sportsman Model 1502 egg incubator contains three automatically turned trays, plus has a hatching tray in the bottom of the incubator. Settings are rotated among the three turning trays so that the hatching tray can accept the eggs from one of the setting trays each cycle. Another option is to set all the trays at one time and at the end of incubation, shut off the turner and hatch in the setting trays.

Each setting tray holds approximately 496 quail eggs, 118 chukar or pheasant eggs, 90 chicken eggs, 40 goose eggs (not over 3 3/4 inches overall height) or 60 duck eggs.

The GQF Sportsman incubator has been available to breeders for more than 30 years and has proven to be a great egg incubator. We offer the best price on the GQF Model 1502 Sportsman egg incubator that is currently available on the market.
    Highly accurate DIGITAL THERMOSTAT with LCD display of Temperature and Humidity
    This means that reading and regulating the temperature and humidity can be done with simply a touch of a button. The accurate temperature control will also lead to getting better hatch rates.

Back-up secondary wafer thermostat
    This back-up thermostat will act as a secondary when the main electronic thermostat fails. This will prevent that you lose your eggs due to the failure of the main thermostat.

On-board computer
    Monitors the turning and temperature systems every second to keep it updated and to share this data with you via the digital display.

Electronic egg turning control
    This ensures that eggs are turned at equal an interval each time which is critical for successful egg development during the incubation process.

Audio and visual indicators and a standard easy view door
    Monitoring the temperature and humidity is easy with the Sportsman incubator. Simply look at the digital display to get updated info on the incubator. Eggs can also be viewed through the clear window built into the front of the incubator. You can even observe the hatching process when looking through the observation window.

Complete incubation instruction booklet included
    This manual contains all the info you need on operating and managing the incubator. No prior knowledge about incubating eggs is needed. Simply follow the easy instructions and you will get great hatches from your first batch of eggs.

3 x Tuning trays and 1x hatching tray with cover
    Each turning tray can hold 2 egg racks (See below for details on egg racks). The turning trays turn hourly. The hatching basket acts as a hatcher during the last few days of the incubation process. Eggs are transferred from the trays to the hatcher towards the end of the incubation cycle.

Digital Thermometer and hygrometer
    The built in digital thermometer and hygrometer makes reading of temperature and humidity easy. With a large clear display it is easy to read and even easier to regulate!

Moisture pan with 2 x Wick pads (Acts as absorption pads to make the water last longer)
    This provides the critical humidity necessary in the incubator in order to create the perfect incubation environment. You will need to refill the water pan every 2 to 3 days depending on your humidity needs. You can purchase the automatic humidifier as an optional extra. When using the auto humidifier you need not worry about refilling the water pan. See below for details on the automatic humidifier (Model 3030 Auto Waterer)

Power and Electricity Specifications
    110 Volt AC 225 Watts

DIMENSIONS AND WEIGHT
    Approximately 30’’ x 15’’ x 31’’ (30 inches Front to Back x 15 inch Wide x 31 inches High). The incubator weighs approximately 96 Lbs.

Hope the above info helps!

10. rosetinted

Jun 20, 2009
    England
    That's brill, thanks for all the info surehatch! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by