Favourite Pickled egg recipes!

Kikilu

Songster
Dec 11, 2022
Nova Scotia
My Coop
My Coop
I LOVE pickled eggs.

I’ve done a basic pickled egg recipe with meh results and one that was a bit too punchy. I do like a strong vinegar flavour though!

I also love doing pickled eggs in soy sauce, black vinegar or rice wine vinegar. Great for a snack, ramen or with rice :)

What’s your favourite? I need recipes for when my chicks are grown layers and I have a lovely surplus of eggs!

When we are lazy, we just throw them in an empty jar of Vlasic garlic dill. Keep refrigerated, wait two weeks. You can "reuse" the pickle juice once that way, sometimes twice - if it looks at all cloudy, pitch it.

When looking for recipes online, avoid any that say "quick". You don't want a one hour pickle, or a three hour pickle, you want a one week brine, meaning a refrigerator pickle recipe. The shorter time recipes are VERY punchy - lots of flavor (and acid punch) on the outside, not enough time to move into the middle. Similarly the slower "pickled red onion"-type recipes (which I make all the time) have too much sugar.

Ajitsuke tamago recipes will be good for you if you like soy.

Otherwise, you are looking for your basic 2 cup water, 1 cup vinegar, 1 Tbsp Salt (maybe 1 tsp sugar, but not in my larder), plus herbs to suit. Dill, garlic, red pepper flake, a few slices of onion, mustard seed, peppercorns, or even "pickling spice" (bay, coriander, mustard seed, cinnamon , star anise, red pepper flake, clove, and a host of other variations). I'm experimenting with using "Old Bay" seasoning, but its got a lot of salt - am not happy yet.

When we are lazy, we just throw them in an empty jar of Vlasic garlic dill. Keep refrigerated, wait two weeks. You can "reuse" the pickle juice once that way, sometimes twice - if it looks at all cloudy, pitch it.

When looking for recipes online, avoid any that say "quick". You don't want a one hour pickle, or a three hour pickle, you want a one week brine, meaning a refrigerator pickle recipe. The shorter time recipes are VERY punchy - lots of flavor (and acid punch) on the outside, not enough time to move into the middle. Similarly the slower "pickled red onion"-type recipes (which I make all the time) have too much sugar.

Ajitsuke tamago recipes will be good for you if you like soy.

Otherwise, you are looking for your basic 2 cup water, 1 cup vinegar, 1 Tbsp Salt (maybe 1 tsp sugar, but not in my larder), plus herbs to suit. Dill, garlic, red pepper flake, a few slices of onion, mustard seed, peppercorns, or even "pickling spice" (bay, coriander, mustard seed, cinnamon , star anise, red pepper flake, clove, and a host of other variations). I'm experimenting with using "Old Bay" seasoning, but its got a lot of salt - am not happy yet.
Fantastic advice! Thank you!

I hard-boil 24 eggs in my instant pot. ~23 of them fit in a Koegle's Pickled Egg jar nice and snug. With that in mind, this is the recipe I have used:
  • 3 cups apple cider vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
Dissolve the salt and sugar into the vinegar over heat and then let it cool completely. Add the liquid and the peeled eggs and whatever else you want to the jar. Shake/stir it up and seal it in the fridge for ~2 weeks minimum.

That's the basics. I add crushed garlic cloves and sliced jalapenos to mine. Also we usually get greedy and open it after 1 full week because we have no self-control. And you probably noticed I don't dilute the vinegar with water. In my opinion, water is just impeding progress.

The beauty of this recipe is how flexible it is with adding whatever other flavors you like.

I hard-boil 24 eggs in my instant pot. ~23 of them fit in a Koegle's Pickled Egg jar nice and snug. With that in mind, this is the recipe I have used:
  • 3 cups apple cider vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
Dissolve the salt and sugar into the vinegar over heat and then let it cool completely. Add the liquid and the peeled eggs and whatever else you want to the jar. Shake/stir it up and seal it in the fridge for ~2 weeks minimum.

That's the basics. I add crushed garlic cloves and sliced jalapenos to mine. Also we usually get greedy and open it after 1 full week because we have no self-control. And you probably noticed I don't dilute the vinegar with water. In my opinion, water is just impeding progress.

The beauty of this recipe is how flexible it is with adding whatever other flavors you like.
I think I'll try the basic you posted. Haven't had pickled eggs in yrs, just haven't thought of it. I've been forking on horse radish.

Back
Top Bottom