Favus? White stuff in eating at comb. Pict.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kiss my Chicken, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Kiss my Chicken

Kiss my Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2012
    Our Easter Egger or Amerucana,

Queeny, looks like her comb is being eaten. Is this Favus? We have the spray with Miconazole in it. I'm worried about getting it in her eyes. Should I put in on our fingers and rub it on?

Thanks for any advise.

[​IMG]

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Yes put the meds on your finger and apply .....

[​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

3. gander007

How old is Queeny ?????
    and do any of your other EE's have this ??? [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

4. Kiss my Chicken

Kiss my Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2012
    Thanks fo the response. Queeny is about 1 1/2yrs. I will try to send pictures of the rest. She has it the worst.

5. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    I am battling this in my EE, as well. For whatever reason, pea combs seem to really create an ideal environment for favus!

It does look like it. Just put on some disposable gloves and treat at least once a day. Twice a day is recommended. Gently smear the cream right into the crevices of the comb, and take care not to get it in the eyes or in the nostrils. If yours is not a cream, you can take an old sock and cut a little hole for her comb, put it over her head, spray, and remove. Make sure it's a stretched out old sock and nothing tight!
    If your EE is too nervous for the sock treatment, you can just carefully shield her nose and eyes with your hands when you spray. This is easier with a helper.

Wash up well with normal bar soap and warm water afterward, as humans CAN get favus depending on the fungal species. There are some studies published that normal bar soaps / castile types work better than antibacterial ones against fungal agents.

6. gander007

Are you treating the entire flock now ........

7. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Just a dumb question,

What IS favus?

I think my Silkie cock may have it... though I'm not certain.

8. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    It's a type of fungus. Think Athlete's foot. It mostly occurs on the comb and fleshy faces of chickens, and seems to grow most in compact combs such as pea combs. If left unchecked it can spread to any part of the chicken's skin.

9. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA

10. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    It can, especially if conditions are good for it and the bird is often in wet conditions. I have not had it spread to any of my single-combed birds, but it has the potential to do so.
    (My EE with the pea comb tends to dunk it in the water frequently and it has a shape that is much more inviting to fungal spores)

It can spread to people too, especially on the scalp, depending on the fungal species. You'd need to transfer it directly so just wash up with soap.

I don't know if it would directly kill a bird, but it sure can make it miserable and itchy. They could die from secondary infection or feather loss (exposure) if it really got out of hand.

Here's some more info, I am by no means an expert:
    http://www.organicvet.co.uk/Poultryweb/disease/favus/Print.htm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by