1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. kristinn

kristinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Brighton, MI
    I have a hen I believe has favus (white on comb, "honeycomb" skin on top of being quarantined for vent gleet that even after a week of treatment hasnt seem to be getting any better.. the today while washing her dirty butt I discovered a large squishy abscess on her neck so she will be culled as soon as my boyfriend gets home, now my concern is for the rest of the flock.. my rooster and a couple others look as though they may have it. Has anyone used Vet Rx Poultry for this? Are there any other treatments I can use for the whole flock?? Heres A pic of the rooster:[​IMG]

2. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    Where is the large squishy abcess on her neck? I don't think you should cull her yet. If the rooster has the same thing she does it doesn't look alarming to me. Just some dirt. Have you tried washing her "honeycomb" spots.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  3. kristinn

Sep 13, 2013
    Brighton, MI
    Just realized "abscess" may just be full crop.. so may reconsider culling the hen. This is what she looks like:[​IMG]
    Vent Gleet

[​IMG]
    Favus

[​IMG]
    Questionable Lump

4. kristinn

Sep 13, 2013
    Brighton, MI
    Oops got the favus and vent gleet pics mixed up

5. kristinn

Sep 13, 2013
    Brighton, MI
    Yes I washed her all over today

6. kristinn

Sep 13, 2013
    Brighton, MI
    She still acts normal (hardest to catch) and an awesome egg layer! I really hope I can get her problems under control!

7. chippysmom327

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    I think you should treat the vent gleet and the favus and she'll be fine. It sounds like she just has a full crop.

8. kristinn

Sep 13, 2013
    Brighton, MI
    Any suggestions for the vent gleet? So far ive been doing the acv in water (I do that for all of them) and probiotics with bifidum and acidophilus as suggested on other posts, but her rear is still swollen, red, and dirty :(

9. kristinn

Sep 13, 2013
    Brighton, MI
    Probiotic powder in food*

10. chippysmom327

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by