Fawkes

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by midasmychicken, Mar 8, 2013.

1. midasmychicken

midasmychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Western MT
    I posted this before, but my hen Fawkes is broody I want her to have chicks but it's too cold is there any way you can keep a hen broody? If not how long will they stay broody? :idunno

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Some hens will set the requisite 21 days and leave the nest, some will stop prior to 21 days and some will even set until they die - you can't give a hard and fast number of days that a hen will stay broody as it varies from individual to individual. Where do you live? Eggs set today will hatch on March 29 - temperatures are really starting to moderate in many areas by then. I have had hens successfully hatch and raise chicks in the middle of the winter. It can be done if they are provided with proper shelter.

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] X2 what Sourland said. Being broody is hard on a hen's body, so either give her some eggs to hatch or break her broodiness by placing her in a wire bottom cage for a few days. But don't try to keep her broody until you think it's the right time to let her hatch eggs. I've had hens raise chicks in the middle of Winter with no problems. It can be done, provided you have a sheltered place for her to raise them for the first few weeks until they are stronger.

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

6. midasmychicken

Mar 8, 2013
    Western MT
    Sourland, I live in Montana. It's fairly cold.

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

8. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
  9. midasmychicken

Mar 8, 2013
    Western MT
    So I've decided to give Fawkes some eggs. She's still broody, but she keeps on switching nests. I know she's still broody because she will peck your hand if you tried to take the eggs. How do I keep her from switching nests? :barnie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by