fawn vs khaki vs chocolate

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sonoran Silkies, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I believe that fawn & khaki are genetically the same (please tell me if I am wrong), but it is one more instance where the standards committees have given different names to what amounts to the same colour. The primary distinction being that fawn is on the duckwing pattern and khaki is only recognised in a white crested version. Yes, those are genetic differences, but not what I'm interested in. I am interested in the khaki/fawn portion of the plumage.

This results from I^D I^D; correct?

And chocolate is I^D i+ ?

Anyone have photos of 2-4 week old chicks of these colours? I think I may finally have a chocolate or khaki silkie chick, but I'd like to verify what it's supposed to look like before I say that I do [​IMG]

2. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Dun is very similar to Blue in its action.
    Just as heterozygous Bl/bl+ Blue can vary from a navy (nearly black-blue ) to a pale pigeon blue, heterozygous Dun I^D/i+ can vary from dark chocolate to fawn. In both cases the homozygote is a Splash.
    Sex-linked Recessive Chocolate is a totally different gene.
    Hobby names are very confusing,especially when used by Standards Administrators who have no understanding of chicken colour genetics,
    David

3. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Thanks, David. I didn't realize that the expression of the hets could vary as much as blue.

What do you mean by "In both cases the homozygote is a Splash"? Is I^D I^D not an even colour?

I agree about the name confusion.

Suze

4. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I have some chocolate chicks, as far as I can tell the khaki looks a lot like a slate grey/blue. The chocolate is a mid brown.

5. ~SunSetsWest~

~SunSetsWest~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Central, Fl.
    I have been playing with Sumatras, I have a very dark dun roo on 2 black hens, 1 light dun and 1 splash hen, the colors I am getting are crazy, with most being black and dark dun, but I am also getting a few shades of khaki, from a latte color to a cream almost white and two that look like they came out of a hershey wrapper. I am now getting some very interesting colors in blue and 1 that may have gotten both a blue and dun gene, I will get pics tomorrow..

6. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

homozygous dun on a duckwing would be an almost white patterned bird.
    There was a picture in a recent topic.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  7. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

And one would think you could put two copies of Andalusian Blue and two copies of Dun on the same bird, and if that bird was BB Red, you would be making birds that look like red pyle.

8. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    2 copies of Blue would suffice.
    I have a splash pyle hen that is whiter than a het dom.white based pyle.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Is this silkie chick fawn/khaki? If not, what?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. ~SunSetsWest~

~SunSetsWest~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Central, Fl.
    These chicks are the product of breeding a dark dun Sumatra roo with a dun hen, I have gotten everything from dark almost black dun, dun that looks like chocolate, a light cream color and one that is so light it looks almost white..

PS..Please excuse the mess in and around the coop, I blew out my knee and can't keep up with the cleaning.. It's making me crazy! [​IMG]

Parents
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And babies

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by