Fayetteville NC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BertandMary, Feb 26, 2013.

1. BertandMary

BertandMary Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    My wife and I recently started our first flock together. We both grew up raising chickens and other farm animals. The memories of the farm life are something we felt needed to be passed on to our children. Mary and I had been discussing it for a couple of years when I surprised her on Feb 13th with some RIR's, which were and are her favorites. They were six little gals, only about a week old when I brought them home and put them in a quickly assembled brooder. As of today, they are around three weeks old and my children and I are training them.

RIR's are often considered skittish. To overcome that I am teaching my children as mom taught me all those years ago. We get a fresh glass of water and dip our fingers into it and then the food. (Wash hands before and after). We then hold our finger in the brooder and the chicks come running to eat the crumbs. It gets them used to your hands and the movement. Within a day or two a few will run to your hand every time you reach into the brooder. Within a week, one can just put their hand into the brooder and a bird will hop on for what my daughters call, "Upsies." At three weeks old, they take turns getting onto my hand and being lifted up to sit on my lap. Sometimes two or three will jump up onto my arm and hand. They let me carry them around the house without complaining in the least. When I sit in the chair near the brooder, they jump/fly up to the edge of the brooder and then onto my knee. Yes, they are pets with benifits to us. Fresh eggs and lots of entertainment.

The only member of the family that had a hard to accepting the little gals was the yellow lab. She shook uncontrollably trying to fight her natural instincts to go after them the first two days. We used slow and controlled exposue for a few days until she was able to relax around them. She now has no problem with them and accepts them as part of the family. Just a couple of days ago she slept next to the brooder, which isn't covered.

The coop is well under way and should be complete by Friday. Depending on the temps, we will consider moving them outside since we will have a heat source for them. The coop and run will allow each gal a little over ten square feet per bird, which will sufice for now.We will build them a moveable tractor for protected free range time in the backyard later in the spring. We have a lot of hawks and eagles that cruise the neighborhood.

A sincere thank you is due to all the posters and the site creator for the refresher course in raising chickens.

Thanks ya'll

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  2. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    Hi from Kentucky![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, BertandMary, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Sounds like you have put a lot of thought into your operation. Good luck and have fun!

4. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] I like your chick taming technique!

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

8. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Bert and Mary, welcome to BYC, and good luck with your chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by