Fayoumis Crosses

davemonkey

Songster
7 Years
Nov 25, 2012
Liberty, TX
I'm just curious if folks can ID breeds just looking at hatchlings. Is it possible at all, or can this "skill" be developed?

The reason I ask is that I was going to post a poll or some other "make your guess" just for fun based on my newly hatched chick. But then I thought...it won't be much fun if it's impossible to tell anyway!

So, can this be done? If it can, then I'll post a pic of my chick (and no giving answers for those who followed my other thread).

I'm not positive, but I noticed pictures of Columbian Rocks on here as chicks and noticed they looked just like mine did when I first got him as a day old, when his fluff was dry and fluffy of course. :) So, with purebreds I think it's possible/plausible. :)

Well, I'll just do it anyway and see what folks say.
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

Anyone care to guess what breed mix this chick is?
Hint #1: it is not a purebred, but it's head is true to one of its parent's breeds (the top of the head, not the whole thing).
Hint #2: one of its parents is a very common egglayer.

More hints to come. A winning guess earns a trip to where ever you want at your own expense. (hee hee hee)
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I'm just curious if folks can ID breeds just looking at hatchlings. Is it possible at all, or can this "skill" be developed?

The reason I ask is that I was going to post a poll or some other "make your guess" just for fun based on my newly hatched chick. But then I thought...it won't be much fun if it's impossible to tell anyway!

So, can this be done? If it can, then I'll post a pic of my chick (and no giving answers for those who followed my other thread).

Not exactly, sometimes some chicken breed crosses will produce different colored offspring. For example if an Easter Egger was crossed with a Cochin the hatchlings would probably all look different because an EE is not a true breed.

Well, I'll just do it anyway and see what folks say.
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

Anyone care to guess what breed mix this chick is?
Hint #1: it is not a purebred, but it's head is true to one of its parent's breeds (the top of the head, not the whole thing).
Hint #2: one of its parents is a very common egglayer.

More hints to come. A winning guess earns a trip to where ever you want at your own expense. (hee hee hee)
big_smile.png

Maybe a Partridge Rock cross?

Not exactly, sometimes some chicken breed crosses will produce different colored offspring. For example if an Easter Egger was crossed with a Cochin the hatchlings would probably all look different because an EE is not a true breed.

Yeah, that's kinda what I figured.

Okay, so to make it easier and more fair (since this IS a mix breed), here is a cropped and fuzzy hint-photo of both parents wing-areas and another hint:

Hint#3: Her dad probably started crowing at a very early age....very early.

Yeah, that's kinda what I figured.

Okay, so to make it easier and more fair (since this IS a mix breed), here is a cropped and fuzzy hint-photo of both parents wing-areas and another hint:

Hint#3: Her dad probably started crowing at a very early age....very early.

Red or black Sex Link and an Easter Egger?

Last edited:
Red or black Sex Link and an Easter Egger?

Close! :) You have ID'd the mom (Easter Egger).

Here's another hint for the dad: see my avatar. And another hint: the dad is NOT a mix breed, but is one of the oldest known breeds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom