FBC Marans Roosters gets worse , now day 4. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PeacefulAcresFarm, Jul 19, 2010.

1. PeacefulAcresFarm

PeacefulAcresFarm New Egg

Jul 19, 2010
    Hello, New chicken owner here. I rescued a flock of chickens whose owner passed away. Has been a grand 6 months of learning. Maybe you can help me with a little knowlegde to help me decide what to do:
    Here is the info the website suggested you start with when posting problems: here goes

1) What type of bird , age and weight. French Black Copper Marans, @2yrs.avg weight.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Falls forward, cannot stand. Eyes shut, breathing heavy , regular stretches neck and grabs air.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 4 days
    4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Bloody comb, one leg sensitive under thigh at body..
    5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. He and his Brother was raised together and found them with older one bloody at comb and flat on its side one leg shaking, yelping trying to stand up. Younger brother attacking it. Made a cradle after trying everything, baskets, pillows to help it stay upright. They have always free ranged each day and have plenty of space and hens to play with, food water.
    6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Medicated mash, layer pellets, eggs, dry cream of wheat, pebbles, rocks, smashed granite. Putting feeder and water near its chest, he eats vigorously and stops almost choking gasping for air. Takes water. No different lying down on ground or on pillow.
    7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. gone from normal to runny and “turkey” colored to normal , now watery.
    8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Checked and rechecked all bones and areas, only sensitive under thigh that he cannot stand on. New digs, pillows, a cradle. Medicated feed. Regular mash, with added ground beef and eggs, Water by eye dropper, 4 days and now eyes closed
    9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? No clue what to do.
    10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Email me at [email protected], have many.
    11) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Main pen is 24’ X 24’ Outdoor pen is a “sickbay” 4 X 7 coop with attached run. Indoor pen is a bird cage I rigged up with a cradle. Bedding is wood shavings and free ranges.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by