FBCM 11/12weeks Pullet or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mimikoi, Jul 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. mimikoi

mimikoi In the Brooder

Jul 20, 2019
    Gotta a few now 3monthish pullets from a home farm and this one is growing like CRAZY. I have two 2 FCBM and the other is the runt of the flock, but this one has grown like a weed in the past 3 weeks. Including the copper hackle feathers where other just got copper peaking through. I've looked at the hackles and tail feathers and they seem hen-nish, but it has cankles to me lol. Compared to the other FBCM I think she's a fast maturing pullet or a sneaky fem roo :idunno
    What say yall?
    I tried to show all the key areas. Hoping for a pullet as I'm an urban chicken mom! :fl

EDIT: She COULD be 8/9weeks old. The farm said 2months, but I'm not so sure.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    janiedoe likes this.
  2. so lucky

so lucky Crowing

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    I am very inexperienced at attempting to sex chickens, but she looks like a pullet to me. I have some "pullets" about the same age that have much redder faces and wattles.

3. mimikoi

mimikoi In the Brooder

Jul 20, 2019
    Thanks!!
    ya know, that's kinda making me wonder about their age. I mean, I've looked at so many photos of 12wk pullets and mine just seem on the smaller side. I don't know of this line or if I'm giving them feed :p

4. so lucky

so lucky Crowing

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Yes, the head shot you posted looks a little younger than you were told. Heaven knows what kind of mix ups the people at the farm stores do, and maybe it isn't their fault, but customers over stepping the rules about handling chickens, etc. But I have a three month old "supposed" EE that looks like a seagull. Or a roadrunner, I'm not sure which. :rolleyes:

janiedoe likes this.
  5. mimikoi

mimikoi In the Brooder

Jul 20, 2019
    Well, the breeders actually runs a farm, so I was trying to take their word...I'm just doubting it now!
    How old do you think she is? I'm thinking maybe 9weeks?

6. so lucky

so lucky Crowing

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Yes, I think around nine weeks rather than 12, in my limited experience. She is pretty, what ever age she actually is.

janiedoe likes this.
  7. mimikoi

mimikoi In the Brooder

Jul 20, 2019
    She really is :) Giddy is also one of the smartest and the only that let's me pet her (while eating aha) Thank you for replying so lucky! :D

so lucky and janiedoe like this.
  8. mimikoi

mimikoi In the Brooder

Jul 20, 2019
    Bumping for other opinions ;)!

9. Hensndoes

Hensndoes Songster

Jun 18, 2017
    Pullet. Is something wrong with her feet? Picture is too blurry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: