1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

FBCM,barred rock,and RIR?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kjk66ss, Feb 10, 2012.

1. kjk66ss

kjk66ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2011
    chatsworth,ca
    ok i have 6 barred rocks one maran and 6 RIR and 5 light brahmas.

im wondering what sings to look for on the maran to somewhat determan if its a he or she.
    same thing with the barred rock, i selected this one cause it has no dark coloring on its legs.

the main question i wanted to ask though,is about the RIR. all my other rhode islands were a golden color until the feathers grew in. these ones all are more yellow and wing tips have alot of white on them? any ideas what they are?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Well, with BRs the males have lighter barring, all yellow legs, and irregular white spots on their heads.

As far as the Marans, I'm not sure. You may have to wait until it's older, and go by comb development or hackle/saddle feathers (or lack of).

The supposed RIR could be a Red Sexlink. I haven't had them though so I can't say for sure.

3. kjk66ss

kjk66ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2011
    chatsworth,ca
    anyone else

4. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    My limited experience with Marans is that the boys show themselves pretty early - by three weeks they had combs developing. Same with d'Uccles - maybe its a French thing. ;)

Your RIRs look like production reds - a mix of RIR and NH.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by