FBCM eggs on the way from eBay, any tips?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickengirl1304, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Chickengirl1304

Chickengirl1304 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012
    California
    Keep them pointy end Down for 24 hours after receiving them?

How long should I wait to turn them once in the bator?

Any other tips?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Hi chickengirl!! [​IMG] How exciting I just hatched a bunch from a seller on here! Love those little peeps, look like little penguins!

4. Chickengirl1304

Chickengirl1304 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012
    California
    Ya they're cute! Can't wait :) were yours shipped?

5. hillfloweranch

hillfloweranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    what does FBCM stand for?

6. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    I believe it stands for French black copper Marans but correct me if I'm wrong :)

7. LuvMyRoo

LuvMyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2012
    I am a first time hatcher and have 13 FBCM (yes, that does stand for French Black Copper Marans) on Day 8. I also had them shipped. They came from across the state and were not in transit that long. But I still let them sit (pointy side down) for 24 hours. Then I waited until Day 3 to start turning. I candled them yesterday and while its hard to see anything since the shells are so dark, I def have something growing in all of them. Two of the dark masses were not as large as the rest, but they were there. Someone told me that they are known to be late hatchers, so I plan on going to Day 24 if they don't hatch on Day 21. GL!

8. bwalden

bwalden Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Arkansas
    I have ordered and hatched FBCM eggs many times. Best advice I can give you, do let the settle for at least 12-24 hours like others have said. I don't worry too much about the turning after that. I have an automatic egg turner so I just put them in. They are very difficult to candle. If they are really dark it's hard to tell until at least day 10. So sometimes I dont even candle at all until day 10. If I'm just dieing to know I might do it on day 7 but I never can tell anything that early. Marans eggs tend to be a little thicker shell and membrane, so they do have a little difficulty sometimes getting out. The last hatch I did was about a week ago, I had 2 hatch on day 20, 6 on day 21, 2 on day 22 and 1 on day 23. I would have took the out of the incubator before day 23 but I could still hear cheeping in the day 23 egg. The best thing I can tell you is if at first you don't succeed, keep trying. I bought them from ebay a couple times from breeders in my state thinking they are closer to me, less shipping trauma. It didn't matter. I couldn't get any to hatch for a long time. I finally found a breeder who packaged them super well and I had 10 of 12 hatch. I try just to hatch mostly my own eggs unless I come across some really good looking eggs or birds that would inprove my flock. Good luck! I hope you get a bunch!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  9. LuvMyRoo

LuvMyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2012
    Thanks for the post bwalden, interesting! Feel free to share any pics of the peepers [​IMG]

10. hillfloweranch

hillfloweranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    Ah! thank you...new at the chicken stuff so I appreciate the info...they look gorgeous and I love the "chocolate" color of the eggs. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by