FBCM limping--help me figure out what it is plz

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Arielle, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    What is his problem?

I picked up the FBCM rooster and carefully examined both his feet. Redness is localized around and between the feathers on both his legs; the red-ist areas are around the feather shaft. The bottom of feet look normal in texture and color. He limps.

I have other marans housed in same coop; he free ranges with everyone.

Need to figure out what it is to know how to help him.

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Arielle, it might be leg scales and you could treat with petroleum jelly or food grade mineral spirits will kill them. It could also be the cooler weather, but likely scaly legs. Can you post a pic?

Have you treated it yet????

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    There was a discussion in the marans thread. A few of us were noticing the feather shafts looking kind of flakey, wondering whether it is a fungus, mite, infection.
    The legs were red and itchy. ONLY on the roos. We still haven't figured out the cause, trying foot fungus spray, neosporin, sevin powder....
    Sorry, I have no answer, but it seems to be popping up. Will keep an eye out for you, too. Roberta

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Quote:Thanks for the suggestions. Since petroleum jelly is simple, I will grease up his legs. Here comes yucky leg feathers! Will see if it works. I have a bunch of birds housed together so I have been looking at legs, as much as one can loaded with feathers! Only one rooster obviously effected.

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Quote:Hi ROberta, my reading skills must be really poor! I read the Marans threads regularly, missed that issue.

I bought mine as newborn chicks, shipped to me at hatch. THese are my only marans. Several other LF dual purpose breeds housed here as of 1 year ago. All from NPIP breeders. So I am very surprised to pickup anything other than what the wildlife bring in.

Guess I need another quarantine pen.

Roberta,Thanks for the updates on the marans.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by