FBCM pullets just began laying; black spots/blood on yolk

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken Keith, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Chicken Keith

Chicken Keith Chillin' With My Peeps

What is this black spot? I'm familiar with the white spot (the "germ").

Also some yolks have a little blood on them.

None of these eggs are incubated before I get them out of the nest, so no fetuses.

Appreciate any help. Should I be worried for my pullets?

2. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    This JUST happened to me yesterday! In fact I have a post on here somewhere... The people that replied to me said it was common for young pullets to lay eggs like this. Mine have been laying for about 6 weeks. I guess the commercial egg people will candle to look for these spots as to not scare the public. I posted my pic below. When I googled it, I found an article saying that their diet can play a role as well. But mine are fed really well.. so not sure if that's the case here.

[​IMG]

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You might look at blood spot and meat spot in here to see if that is what you are talking about.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/ourbooks/1/egg-quality-handbook/

Anything in the hen's cavity can get caught up when the yolk starts its journey through the hen's internal egg laying factory. It is more common with pullets just starting to lay as they get the kinks worked out of the system, but it can happen with older hens too. The meat spots I've seen have been more brown than black, so I'm not sure that is the exact same thing, but it is a similar concept. Something is loose floating around in there.

4. Chicken Keith

Chicken Keith Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks, y'all. My pullets are young, about 24 weeks of age. The link provided seems to indicate that meat spots are more prevalent for older hens though. I'm sure it is all due to the fact these young pullets need to get the kinks worked out.

Thanks again!!

5. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Yep looks like from a pullet that just has started laying. It usually stops as they get older.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by