FBCM questions...odd traits

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by elite8, Aug 14, 2010.

1. elite8

elite8 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    40/42 North Carolina
    About 9 weeks ago I bought some chicks that were supposed to be from Bev Davis and Wade Jeanne lines. I got six of them. Five turned out to be cockerels. Now that they have matured I have noticed awkward traits. Two of them have white hackles, one has no feathers on his legs and another has a mis-shaped wattle. Were these way too inbred? The ones that do have feathers have a lot of feathers. Can there be that many according to standards? The one hen has brown spots. I think this is a disqualification. I don't plan to breed these for show at all but would still like to keep at least one cockerel that would be close and the hen. I guess my main questions would be why white hackles and how many feathers should be on their legs?

2. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Hi elite!

Is it possible to share photo's of these birds? These birds are about 9 weeks of age correct? If so, give them more time, they can change alot between now and feather maturity.

The amount of feathers on the shanks does not have a set number of feathers, some Marans have heavily feathered shanks and some have sparsely feathered. I believe that the sparsely feather shank is what is preferred in the purposed standard. I may be wrong here as I am going from memory and do not have the proposed standards in front of me.
    As for brown spots on the pullet, this is considered stippling and some people refer to it as "mossiness" it is not desired in the proposed standard.
    [​IMG]

3. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:I am assuming you purchased black coppers.

I have been working with Bev for a number of years on her breeding protocol with the black coppers and other new varieties of marans. Did you get the birds from Bev or another person? Bev's black coppers do not carry silver. If your birds have silver hackles they are not black copper but are most likely birchen or self blacks.

The misshaped wattle can happen with any bird. Inbreeding is not a problem with Bev's birds. There are two different genes that control feathered feet- the bird without feathered feet should not be used for breeding SQ birds.

The mossiness (stippling) is a problem associated with the birchen gene and will show up in black copper females.To clear any red/gold color from the back etc. the birds need to carry a gene ( not documented) that can extend black into the back etc. but not effect the red/gold/copper that is the hackles. The problem with this is that the gene will most likely restrict the amount of gold/red/copper in the males.

I think some of the best female black coppers are hybrid for extended black and another allele at the E locus ( most likely birchen or wheaten).

Tim

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  4. elite8

elite8 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    40/42 North Carolina
    The entire batch
    [​IMG]

Featherless feet
    [​IMG]

Misshaped wattle
    [​IMG]

Too many feathers?
    [​IMG]

Stippling
    [​IMG]

These came from another breeder so they are not hers. They supposedly originated from Bev Davis and and Wade Jeanne lines. They are about ten weeks old and. Thanks for all the information. I am learning something new every day!

Thanks again for your time...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by