Fbcm

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by babyrnlc, Sep 20, 2011.

1. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    I have 2 french black copper marans chicks. They are about 10 weeks and 14 weeks. I showed pictures on her and everyone said they were roos.

The breeder swears they are pullets and said to wait. She said she would trade them for pullets if either or both turn out to be roos, but she is sure they are pullets.

I sent pictures to another BCM breeder and she also says that they look like pullets and the fact that their is black on the combs really makes her think they are pullets.
    I know nothing about marans lol, so do the pullets have black on their combs, cause these chicks do have quite a lot of black on the combs. Can roos have black on their combs?
    I have tried to research this and I have only ever read about hens with black on their combs. I posted on the Black Copper Marans thread, but noone replied to it.

They do have fairly good size combs and waddles, but compared to the roos I see posted the same age, they are small.

So I would love more information about this black comb thing.
    Here they are at 8 weeks and 12 weeks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. stickers

stickers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Hudson
    Hi they look very much like roos too me. Also I have never seen that much color on a BCM, they should be black with copper on neck and very little color on chest. Yours look almost tan on most of chest possibly a cross?

3. babyrnlc

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Quote:The breeder is a hatchery and she breeds for the copper. She likes the copper.

What about the black on the comb? I have done a search for it and only ever found hens with black as chicks and mostly go away by the time they start laying. Have not found any cockerals with black. It makes me think this breeder might have something?

4. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    I'm leaning toward cockerels with those pictures, but would like to see some current pics.

I have 2 fbcm that are 9 1/2 weeks. They have no pink on their combs yet. I also have 5 fbcms that are 3 weeks old. 2 are obviously male, 2 are obviously female. I'm not 100% sure about the fifth. It has a larger comb like the 2 boys but has some of the black on the comb. It also feathered out like the 2 boys. I'm leaning toward boy on it.

This pic was of one of my pullets at 8 weeks. Her comb hasn't grown any more yet. Are their combs and waddles bigger now?

[​IMG]

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The first two shown are definite cockerels. And definitely poorly colored. [​IMG]

The black is excess melanizer, just color. It should hopefully go away.

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Ditto. Hens don't get that color combo on their chest. If they are going to get too much, it does not have big black spots on the ends of the feathers. If your "breeder" has been breeding for long, she would already know that. Anyone breeding for excess copper on the breast on purpose, well, that is not the standard. Why not just breed for yellow legs while they are at it? Clean shanks, anyone? Carnation combs? How about a few white ear lobes, and some black eyes too. Please, if you would, add a ton of white leakage in the wings and tail feathers, and golden hackles would be good. That is almost copper.

Your "breeder" is pumping out inferior quality birds and selling roos as hens. Swap for pullets if you want, but run, don't walk afterwards. If you wang copper marans, buy from someone breeding to the standard.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:x2 Same feelings here - Those birds are obvious boys and anyone breeding Marans should know it. I think they're ripping people off. I hope they weren't the same price as most BC Marans. Sorry.

8. babyrnlc

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Quote:x2 Same feelings here - Those birds are obvious boys and anyone breeding Marans should know it. I think they're ripping people off. I hope they weren't the same price as most BC Marans. Sorry.

they were only $8, but they were an hour away!

I think I will just trade them out. What should I look for so I do not have to make this drive AGAIN! [​IMG]

9. ChickasaurusRex

ChickasaurusRex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    SF Bay
    Ask for pics of the parents and read the info on the FBCM club of how they should look and compare. There are probably breeders on here that can help [​IMG] Good luck!!
    They're wonderful birds!

10. rsarns

rsarns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Go to the Marans thread in the breeding forum, lots of great info and pics there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by