Fear of birds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CarrieNH, Apr 5, 2012.

1. CarrieNH

CarrieNH New Egg

Mar 27, 2012
    Eastern NH
    My first chicks are about 4 weeks now. Its too cold here in NH to put them outside, or even in the garage. I just made a larger area for them in a Christmas tree box, which seems to work well.

Well anyway, I don't have a fear of birds, but the chickens kind of freak me out. We didn't get them for pets, just for their eggs (sorry chickies). Just in the last few days they have really grown quite a few feathers. Whenever I open the brooder they try to fly out, and it freaks me out. Does this mean they are ready to be moved into a larger area? Or are they just going to do that anyway? There are only four of them so they seem to have plenty of room for the next few weeks.

Anyway else not a big fan of birds that got over their fear and now love their chickens?? [​IMG]

2. OreoPlymothRock

OreoPlymothRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    It is perfectly normal. That happened to my chicken too. When i open the box, it would fly out. That just means it wants to be held more. And it means that it needs more room.

3. ChickenMan77

ChickenMan77 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2012
    Last year I got my chicks long before I built the coop. I am embarrassed to say that they lived in a large brooder made out of cardboard and a tarp till they were almost fully grown in our spare bedroom. It took a while to clean the dust out of the room after the left and this year I did not repeat that mistake since the coop is built already. I can't say I have a fear of chickens or birds, I actually love keeping chickens so much my wife says I have a chicken problem.

The chicks need to be at a minimum of 90 degrees when they are first hatched and at 70 degrees right now since they are only 4 weeks old. You can decrease that by 5 degrees each week till they are fully feathered and even then I would say that freezing temps will be a little uncomfortable for them for a couple more weeks. If your coop is already built, just put them out there with the heat lamp, making sure you know that the temp is at least 70.

If you decide to keep them inside a bit longer I think they will be fine in a large box as you have described. At 4 weeks I think one to two square feet per bird is enough. With the lid closed, make sure they are ventilated enough so that it isn't humid in the brooder and make sure that inside the box the heat lamp isn't making them too hot. Remember that ventilation is one of the most important elements to a healthy chicken. If they are all spread out away from the lamp they are too hot. If they are all huddled together under the lamp they are little to cool.

4. CarrieNH

CarrieNH New Egg

Mar 27, 2012
    Eastern NH
    Thanks for the quick replies! This is the new set up we have. Temperature wise they seem comfortable, and I turn on a small fan periodically to keep the air moving. They perhaps do want more attention and to be held - my boyfriend has no problem doing that, but he works on a ship and is gone for another week+, I'm just a little nervous handling them myself, especially now that they want to fly!

I would like to put them outside as soon as possible, but it only gets up to about 55 during the day, and 30s or so at night, so in here they shall stay for the time being! The space we have set up in the garage is about three times the size they are in now, but its only about 50 out there, barley reaching 70 with the light. That will be their next home soon enough. Just wishing for warmer days! :)

[​IMG]

5. OreoPlymothRock

OreoPlymothRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    don't feel embarrassed. I have a brooder made out of a cardboard box

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by