Fear of rakes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DaveK88, Oct 16, 2011.

1. DaveK88

DaveK88 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    Killingly Ct.
    Ok I can start my tractor (which is about 15 feet away from the run) and they all come running over to see whats up. I can weedwack all around their run and the follow me around the whole time. But if I bring a rake into the run they FREAK OUT! You might think I let a coyote loose in the run. I guess we all have our fears. LOL.

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Mine are wary of rakes as well...you know why? I have a long-handled net that has caught them before. They see long handle, it must mean net. [​IMG]

3. mamachicken888

mamachicken888 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    East Oklahoma
    I believe it!

Once when there were hawks circling my girls run, I grabbed up a yard rake and swung it at the hawks and they scattered! I think it looks like a giant wing or something.

4. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Mine are afraid of the dreaded yellow broom, da dum daaaaaaaa! It is one very scary broom.

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Mine run screeching at my red plaid pajama bottoms....well they are kinda bright!

6. tinydancer87

tinydancer87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    SE Georgia
    My chickens aren't scared of much, but the one thing they mortally fear are bales of pine straw. [​IMG]

I thought they were going to kill themselves trying to get away from the big scary bales that I was tearing apart and scattering, lol.

7. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Mine love the rake especially if I am raking the yard cause they know some tasty treats will be raked up. I have one that will actually try to get under the rake so she can get the first treat. But then she is in the way all the time no matter what we are doing.

8. hensandchickscolorado

hensandchickscolorado Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Englewood Colorado
    I love that my girls are petrified of the rake! Its how I get them into their coop when I need to. I just wave it around and into the run they go...its amazing! And funny...im sure my neighbors think im crazy, waving that rake around!!

9. mamachicken888

mamachicken888 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    East Oklahoma
    You guys are a hoot! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    My roo fears the axs. We had a one on one about the axs. I pull it out & he makes these wild noises & runs for the hills.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by