Feather color sexing EEs (updated with pics of mine)

dragonmorgan

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 25, 2012
South Alabama
Ive been tryin to sex my 3 week old EEs and Ive read a few threads on here where people talk about sexing them by their feather colors. How is this done and is there a certain age they have to be before you can do it? I can post pics of mine if anyone thinks they can look at them and tell what they might be.

ETA: They are 3 weeks old.

Last edited:
You read about that correctly, and you are more than welcome to post pics of your bird. All you have to do is wait for them to mostly feather out (about 4 weeks.)

The general rule is that the females are confined to their genetic ancestry of birds that were camoflaged so that they could sit on their nests undetected. To this end, their body is confined to one coloration pattern (usually wild type). Their head and tail can be different colors, but are clearly distinct from the body.

Now, a male has no such restrictions, and has loud splashy colors here there and everywhere. This is especially apparent and chaotic when they are young and feathering out. Instead of a nice even pattern across the wing, you'll get messy splashes of random color (usually red on the shoulders.) The messier the manlier.

The only situation where this isn't applicable is when you get pure white birds (which is so rare in hatchery birds as to be almost besides the point). In that situation, you're stuck waiting for the male hackles to come in, or crowing.

Hope that helps clarify a bit. There's a really good EE coloration thread in this forum that would be good to look through. You'll soon pick out the coloration restrictions if you keep the above in mind.

Ok I think I get it. Here are mine. They are only 3 weeks old so it may be a little early. Any guesses would be appreciated tho.

This is the one I was certain was a pullet when we bought them and now its lookin like I was wrong. The comb is pointier down the center than the other 2 and has a pink tint to it. Theres also lighter colors in the wings but I was hopin that was because its a lighter colored chick. This one is also the most skittish chick of all mine. It runs and hides as soon as I open the door to the room the brooder is in. My fingers are still crossed for a pullet tho.
fl.gif

This one has hardly no comb at all. It was frustratin tryin to get a pic of it because its so flat.

This is the 3rd one. Its comb is in between the other 2. Pretty bumpy but not pointy like the first and its still yellow.

I am learning so much from this site! I never knew about the EE colorations before today! thanks for sharing your knowledge
frow.gif

You read about that correctly, and you are more than welcome to post pics of your bird. All you have to do is wait for them to mostly feather out (about 4 weeks.)

The general rule is that the females are confined to their genetic ancestry of birds that were camoflaged so that they could sit on their nests undetected. To this end, their body is confined to one coloration pattern (usually wild type). Their head and tail can be different colors, but are clearly distinct from the body.

Now, a male has no such restrictions, and has loud splashy colors here there and everywhere. This is especially apparent and chaotic when they are young and feathering out. Instead of a nice even pattern across the wing, you'll get messy splashes of random color (usually red on the shoulders.) The messier the manlier.

The only situation where this isn't applicable is when you get pure white birds (which is so rare in hatchery birds as to be almost besides the point). In that situation, you're stuck waiting for the male hackles to come in, or crowing.

Hope that helps clarify a bit. There's a really good EE coloration thread in this forum that would be good to look through. You'll soon pick out the coloration restrictions if you keep the above in mind.

Wow, this is really great info. Thanks!
goodpost.gif

Back
Top Bottom