Feather Curl???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tia, Sep 16, 2009.

1. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    My runners are 7 weeks old today. When will I be able to tell which ones are drakes? When will the feathers turn up? I have been listening carefully to try to figure out which ones are quacking, but they all seem to be quacking. I must not be able to detect the difference. : ( Does anyone have any suggestions??? I thought about recording them and having someone listen. : )

Tia

2. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Yes, the feathers will turn up if they are drakes. My ducks didn't have a discernible difference in their quacks until other gender-based characteristics began showing up.

3. tia

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    When do their tails start to curl???

Tia

4. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    my runners did not curl till 4-5 months you can tell at 7-8 weeks by quacking (only the girls quack) the drakes make more of a hissing sound. when you pich it up does it quack?

eta if they are all quacking then you may have to wait till they are 8 weeks old, the females are really loud like a honk sort of and the boys never get that volume, but they all have the same juvenile squeaky voice in the begining.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  5. tia

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    I will have to listen more closely, it all sounds like quacking to me, but some of it does seem to be different. Maybe there aren't any drakes.

Tia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by