1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feather cysts

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Lelu, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Lelu

Lelu Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    Monterey, Ca
    I'm double posting this here and in first aid. One of my birds has what I thought was an abscess. So I got some blu-kote, and today I went to drain it. Upon further inspection it seemed much more like an ingrown feather or feather cyst. Is this something I can fix at home? or do I need a vet. :-/

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Take a needle, make sure the needle is sterile (alcohol or hydrogen peroxide will sterilize the needle), pop the cyst, or open it at least...then take some neosporin or bluecote and put it over the wound...since the cyst is open its easier for the wound to heal.

3. Lelu

Lelu Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    Monterey, Ca
    Should I tweezer out the ingrown feathers?

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:IF THEY ARE INDEED INGROWN FEATHERS INSIDE THE CYST THEN YES, GENTLY GET THEM OUT THRUOGH THE OPENING YOU CREATE DRAINING THE BACESS, BUT I DONT RECOMMEND "PULLING THE FEATHERS OUT" OF THE BIRD ITSELF--- THIS WILL CAUSE EVEN MORE AND WORSE INGROWN FEATHERS DURING THE NEXT MOLT, GET THE INGROWNS OUTSIDE THE FLESH OF THE ANIMAL AND LET THEM STAY THERE AND THE SOFT TISSUE AROUND THE INFECTED FOLLICAL WILL HEAL

5. Lelu

Lelu Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    Monterey, Ca
    Thanks, I'll try again tonight :)

6. Lelu

Lelu Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    Monterey, Ca
    I clipped all the girls wings, and cleaned out the ingrown feathers today! [​IMG] Now I'll have to explain my bright purple arms to my professor... kinda had an over spray accident with the blu kote... [​IMG]

7. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:hahahaha ..THAT must look ...interesting...

8. Lelu

Lelu Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    Monterey, Ca
    looks like I murdered a smurf... graphically...or like I have Violet Beauregarde disease.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by