Feather damage

Chicken Heads

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2015
Alaska
BYC members my chickens are all mess up.. Any idea what this might be?? I noticed for awhile thought Mayb cage damage but closer look even the new feathers are showing signs of lines going across and looks like something eating at it... Hen and rooster cage together... Hen shows small signs this picture is from rooster with most damages.. Seems to be molting atm ... But even new feathers growing out like that?? Lots of dandruff

More like a ticks or mites infestations. But it could be fighting in the flock too. I mean, the feathers should be growing now since we're in the spring and winter zone. But I suggest search around for any ticks or mites.

More like a ticks or mites infestations. But it could be fighting in the flock too. I mean, the feathers should be growing now since we're in the spring and winter zone. But I suggest search around for any ticks or mites.
I've read that mites can b invisible to the eye and lives in the feather folicals and damaged emerge with newly molted feathers which I can see happening but not 100 percent sure...

If brids the two games you have in your photos then I suggest looking into increasing area they have to move about and probably use for dusting. Also look into increasing protein a little and possibly add something like BOSS to diet as a source of essential oils that promote glossiness of feathers. Watch closer dietary protein levels when they produce new feathers. This does not preclude some sort of external parasites being involved as they containment I can see is ideal for supporting those with all that wood and no obvious dust bathing opportunities.

Found some feathers on my birds the heavier damage ones with deposits like in this picture... Possibly that's what it is not real bad infestation yet??

If brids the two games you have in your photos then I suggest looking into increasing area they have to move about and probably use for dusting. Also look into increasing protein a little and possibly add something like BOSS to diet as a source of essential oils that promote glossiness of feathers. Watch closer dietary protein levels when they produce new feathers. This does not preclude some sort of external parasites being involved as they containment I can see is ideal for supporting those with all that wood and no obvious dust bathing opportunities.

Found some feathers on my birds the heavier damage ones with deposits like in this picture... Possibly that's what it is not real bad infestation yet??
You will have to treat them regularly to reduce the infestation.
As @centrarchid pointed out, higher protein feed, Black Oil Sunflower Seeds to give essential oils in diet and dust bathing will also be beneficial. You will also need to treat your coop and clean out your bedding since mites can live in the wood and shaving. You will have to stay on top of it for quite a while in order to get them under control. If you have adjoining housing/breeding pens, then I would also treat those houses/pens as well, since mites/lice can easily go from one bird to another.

You will have to treat them regularly to reduce the infestation.
As @centrarchid
pointed out, higher protein feed, Black Oil Sunflower Seeds to give essential oils in diet and dust bathing will also be beneficial. You will also need to treat your coop and clean out your bedding since mites can live in the wood and shaving. You will have to stay on top of it for quite a while in order to get them under control. If you have adjoining housing/breeding pens, then I would also treat those houses/pens as well, since mites/lice can easily go from one bird to another.
atm I keep them inside house in closet do to cold weather and Wer sick I bought them in these conditions... I had no idea about chickens but learned a lot past 2 weeks... I change bedding twice a day.. Canker sores in mouth respiratory infections along with quill mites... And who knows what else... But canker and respiratory under control with right meds... Just the quill mites to deal with.... And I hope that's all.. Lol. Thanks for the advice
1f44d.png

Shoot!!
1f624.png
1f624.png
1f624.png
so after all that today I came home to care for me birds on my lunch break... My rooster poop out watery poop like it usually does... But.... Today immediately I noticed moving twitching from the poop... A closer look reveals I think round worms... About 1/4 in look like small noodles.. Disgusting!! What else is going on!! Mayb the DE and last nights ivermectin treatment doing its job?? I've never noticed the worms moving like that. Until today after last nights treatment with ivermectin...

Back
Top Bottom