Feather eaters?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by femalecbrown, Sep 4, 2009.

1. femalecbrown

femalecbrown Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2009
    Cloverdale, Indiana
    Can anyone tell me why chickens eat chicken feathers? Should I be concerned about this?

2. LegHorn-BusHorn

LegHorn-BusHorn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Near STL mo
    They are needing more protien in their diet. I give mine black oiled sunflower seeds and they love them. No more feather eating.

3. beverlyl

beverlyl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2009
    Morristown Arizona
    My chickens are eating feathers also, so... what is a good source of protein? [​IMG]

4. bloomnbeauty

bloomnbeauty Delux Cluxs

Sep 16, 2008
    N Florida
    Taking a tip from someone on the board I started feeding mine dry cat food. I grind it up in my blender and mix it with their layer a few times a month and that has stopped mine from eating feathers.

5. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Some people use cat food, I use washed cottage cheese and high protein bird feed. You can also use cooked egg, unpastuerized milk, meal worms, even fish that is low salt. Make sure they have access to plenty of grit, and oyster shell if they are layers. I have a pullet that did that when she was young, she is an odd one, but with the added protein she lays well.

6. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:this is a great way to remedy the feather eating. cat food is very high in salt and can be a problem.

yogurt, hard boiled or scrambled eggs and other sources have been used.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by