1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feather Eating Chicken!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FLURRYOFTEXAS, Aug 16, 2011.

1. FLURRYOFTEXAS

FLURRYOFTEXAS Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    texas
    I have a hen that runs around picking feathers off the other chickens and eating the feathers. Is there something i can do about this before all my others chickens get picked clean.. does she need vitamins are somthing.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Good morning! You're right on the money! Feathers are actually made up of protein, so sometimes if a hen likes to eat feathers, she could use some more protein in her diet. You could boil an egg yolk and feed that to her, or maybe giver her some canned cat food.

Feather picking is also a symptom of poultry being too crowded, so they get cranky and will pull feathers, but if you see that she's really eating the feathers, then she could probably use some more protein.

If your flock is looking feather pecked, also check for parasites, like mites or lice.

Hope this helps,
    Sharon

3. FLURRYOFTEXAS

FLURRYOFTEXAS Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    texas
    thanks for the advise. i keep them free of mites and lice. and they aren't too crowded. so i will up the protein in there feed and i will give them so extra high protein treats. thank you.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:You are more than welcome! Take care!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by