feather eating help PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wilsonfarm416, Feb 27, 2012.

1. wilsonfarm416

wilsonfarm416 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Brighton
    ok so about a month ago I noticed 2 chickens were getting bald spots on their backs. I had a roo at the time and I assumed he was being hard on the girls so I culled him. Well it turns out that he was not the problem. I observed one of my girls eating feathers right off the other girl's backs and it is getting progressively worse. She eats her own feathers as well. in the past when I noticed they were eating lose feathers they found floating around I gave them a little cat food for the protein and it seemed to help. I was just wondering if any of you could give me advice. thank you.

I have 4 hens in an 8'x4' coop and they have a run that is 24'x24' plenty big so I don't think that it is out of bordom. I am guessing it is a protein deficiency but this is my first year keeping chickens so not sure. I will try and get some pictures tomorrow and post so you guys can see the damage. oh and also I have looked them over well I don't see lice or mites at all.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Try mixing GBS & 20 % laying pellets into the feeder, I mixed it one scoop GBS to one scoop 20% laying pellets. About 25 lbs worth. They will need the extra protein to grow their feathers back. Don't wanna over feed them with protein also add avian charge to their water. This worked for mine. But my problem stemmed from a roo that was picking their feathers & feeding them back to the girls. The girls learned the behaviour from the roo & they all started doing it to each other. Got rid of the roo & fed the above mixture & they now have their feathers back.
    I also isolated one because she was pecked on to know end once she grew her feathers back I put her back with the flock. Fed her the above mixture till feathers grew back as well. I presently have one other the last one in isolation once her feathers grow back she will be back with the flock. This worked for me. They all have fluffy butts again & look great & are back to laying. Good Luck !!!!

3. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    What is GBS?

4. wilsonfarm416

wilsonfarm416 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Brighton
    Can you tell me what GBS is? Thank you for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by