Feather eating, shavings eating...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Welshies, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    I just moved my 9 wk old ducks from a dog kennel, stock trailer setup to their 4-season duck tractor. They were moved today, and seemed okay, albeit a little reluctant to go outside. They didn't really eat, but they drank a bit.
    Then this evening after I shut them in for the night, I checked on them once more. One duck hen in particular was pecking at other ducks and pulled out a few feathers. They are starting to get their second molt but they shouldn't eat each other's feathers, right?
    A few of them were eating shavings. This concerned me so I took some feed and put it in a shallow pan. They have some in their automatic feeder, but they hadn't ate much of it. They started to eat the feed but it is a new feed.
    Should I be worried? :rolleyes:

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Totally normal..Add some protein as in dry Cat food to their diet..It works wonders on feather eating. Give a handful in their feed every other day. Provide grit they need it.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  3. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Does moist dog food work?

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Dog food comes in pretty big chunks. Cat kibble is smaller. So I suppose you could chop up the dog kibble into tinier pieces to avoid choking. I know they'll choke to death on dry dog kibble.

5. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    I did throw some in their water chopped in half today. If I threw whole pieces in their water and let them soak for a little while before they come and drink, would that be okay? :)

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Cat food has a higher protein level than most dog food, smaller kibbles make it easy to swallow.
    I never tried feeding dog food. A small bag of Cat chow or other brand will last a long time.
    I only add a handful or so every other day to the grains or on the ground.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by