1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feather Eating

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicklette 1, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Chicklette 1

Chicklette 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    I have seen my Barred Rock roo eating a feather now and then including one of his own that had fallen on the ground. This is my first group of chickens so I dod not know whether this is normal behavior or not.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Sometimes they do eat feathers, and it won't hurt them. Feathers are almost all protein, so on occasion, they eat the feathers if they need more protein in their diet. But if they just see one on the ground and eat it, that's just fine. [​IMG]

3. Chicklette 1

Chicklette 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    Thanks so much for responding so quickly. He is about 15 weeks old and is still on chick food which I think is 18% protein but I try giving them a little additional fish or other protein.

4. Rockin' Reds

Rockin' Reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
    Mine eat feathers on occasion as well...either from the ground, or if one is floating in the air they all run for it like it may be a delicious bug morsel!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by