Feather Fence/Electric poultry Fence

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by baadkyfarmers, Sep 20, 2011.

1. baadkyfarmers

baadkyfarmers Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Crestwood
    What are your thoughts of electric poultry fence? Where is the cheapest place to buy them.

2. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    This is my dream question! I LOVE ELECTRIC POULTRY NET fencing! [​IMG] And, no, I don't work for a poultry netting manufacturer!

I bought one panel of electric poultry netting and a charger from Kencove Farm Fence, and I am very happy with it. I don't know if it's the cheapest fencing out there, but in my humble opinion, what I bought is worth every penny I spent on it. An acquaintance has had this same fencing up year 'round for a couple of years, and it's still working perfectly. Granted, once the snow begins to fly, he turns it off; it's just to say that it has withstood a harsh environment without a hitch so far.

I am only speaking for my experience with the product that I bought from the above manufacturer: It's very well made - sturdy. It's extremely easy to set up and move. It keeps the birds in and the four legged predators out. Well, I did have a little bantam pop over it once, but she hasn't since. I bought the green netting, which is dark and virtually melts into the landscape - which is to say, you can hardly see it.

Here's a link to an article on it on Kencove's website: http://www.kencove.com/fence/128_Electric+Netting+Benefits_resource.php

I'll
    take photos tomorrow (if it's not raining) so you can see how mine is set up.

Perhaps Google "electric poultry netting" so you can compare what's out there. And hopefully, others will chime in on different brands.

3. baadkyfarmers

Sep 19, 2011
    Crestwood
    Thanks so much for your opinion, I was just looking at the Kencoves last night but didn't know anything about them. What size charger do you use?

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
  5. baadkyfarmers

Sep 19, 2011
    Crestwood
    Will that work for a chicken fence? It seems a little powerful

6. 7&8

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    baadkyfarmers,

I have a Stafix #2 charger (2 joules). Kencove recommends a minimum of .25 joule charger/ fence panel (164' = 1 panel). The lowest joule charger they sell has a 1 joule output. I decided on a #2 charger because I wanted to make sure I was delivering a good zap and so that the fence wouldn't have to fight vegetation as hard. Here's a link to an article on volts vs. joules: http://www.kencove.com/fence/7_Volts+vs.+Joules_resource.php

It's an initial investment, yes. But if you take into consideration what you would spend in time & materials building a fixed run area - think 164', the fencing & charger begins to look like a pretty good deal - at least in my estimation! [​IMG]

7. baadkyfarmers

Sep 19, 2011
    Crestwood
    [​IMG] thanks for clearing that up, I thought that the max would be .25j good to know I can go bigger now and add more fence if I want.[​IMG]

8. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    How do these do in the snow? Do they short out?

9. 7&8

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    Uyup. And where I live, it does snow on occasion! [​IMG] The birds spend a lot of their time indoors in the winter. And if they're out, yes, they will be unprotected. So this is a shortcoming in using electric poultry netting.

10. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Ohhhhh. I was afraid of that. I'll have to rig up something for the winter. The coyotes have been testing the fence!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by