Feather-Footed Pullet (I Think) - Boy or Girl? **UPDATE, 4-5 Months**

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by serinat, Nov 17, 2010.

1. serinat

serinat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Michigan
    (1/26/11 - Scroll down lower in this first post to see pictures of Speedy at around five months. Whaddya think? Pullet or cockerel?)

(11/17/10) Friends gave us this pretty little girl, saying she was "7 or 8 weeks." We have no idea what breed(s) she is. (Also, I'm assuming she's a girl, but should I have any reason to suspect otherwise?) Pics aren't so great, but I think you get the general idea. Thanks for any help!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(1/26/11) Speedy is now 4-5 months old. I really think she's a Lt. Brahma mix of some sort, and a pullet. But I'm still not 100% confident. The consensus a couple of months ago was that Speedy is a cockerel; what do you think now?

[​IMG]

See below - Speedy (on the left) has a smaller and paler comb than Mr. Hawk, the Easter Egger cockerel on the right (who is perhaps 4 weeks older):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  2. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    possibly a silver laced cochin mix. I would guess mix just because the colors are running together and she does not have a lot of feathers on her feet. I have some pics of SL cochins on my website if you want to look for reference.

3. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    You have a light brahma and "she" looks like a he. Still a little early to know for sure but looks like a boy to me.

4. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    If it's a brahma, it is the light variety and it is a boy. But I guess it could be a mix.

5. serinat

Jan 12, 2009
    Michigan
    shoot. i was hoping he was a she. i'm still really bad at sexing when they're this age. tell me how you know?

6. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    He is starting to get his pointed saddle feathers and his comb is already pretty bright red. When they are that age some breeds can be a little tough but yours has enough male features to know that you have a roo.

7. serinat

Jan 12, 2009
    Michigan
    okay, so we have silver-laced cochin mix and light brahma as options. any other breeds? i think (s)he's probably a mix, myself.

his/her comb is a lot smaller than i'd expect from a male of that age, but i know some chickens develop later. the tail feathers aren't very male to me, either. but y'all are probably right and i'm just hoping.

8. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    I don't think it is a light brahma. They are white with a little black on the neck. I think it is brahma mix, but not light.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Ditto

10. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    I would say its a girl. I would expect the comb to be a lot bigger by that age. I wouldn't rehome it just yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by