Feather-footed question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lauralou, Feb 5, 2008.

1. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I am thinking about my spring chick order, and I have a question about feather-footed breeds such as faverolles and cochins.

How dirty do their feet get?

The reason that I ask is because I notice that my chickens sometimes step in poo and then bedding or straw from the ground sticks to it, causing a dreadful condition that I refer to as turdfoot. Fortunately, turdfoot only lasts a few minutes, then the offending blob falls off. But if it stuck to feathers that were on the foot, and became a more chronic condition, I would be totally grossed out.

What do you think, should I pass on the feather-footed lovelies?

2. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    No! Dont pass on them! My favorite kind of chicken is the feather-footed. I have no problem with "turdfoot". I would recommend silkies or the cochins. [​IMG]

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

We raise cochins and we don't have a problem with turdfoot. We keep things pretty clean though. I think they clean themselves preening too.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2008
  4. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

My cochin seems to have cleaner feet than the non-feather legged birds!

5. valmom

valmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    Vermont
    Our big rooster (I thought he was a Buttercup? is that a breed? cross) has feathered feet- they are very cute:)He doesn't seem to have any problems with turdfoot, but I do keep their coop pretty picked clean.

6. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Thanks for the input! Don't I worry about the silliest things? Can't you just see me in the chicken run, saying "No Precious, don't step there! You'll get turdfoot!"

Of course, I'm very careful, and never get turdfoot. I do try to keep everything clean, but the more I feed them...

Seriously though, thanks for the replies. I was actually worried about that, but it seems like it's not a real problem. Only a problem in my obsessive/compulsive mind...

7. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Chickanmanfromarkansas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    Question Here????

How long would it take to breed out feathering on the legs if you were to cross breed Cochins (Brahmas or Faverolles) with other breeds to improve size?

8. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Jan 18, 2010
    Still looking for answer if there is one. Help. Bump up.

9. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Quote:Chickenman, you'll have better luck with your question if you start your own thread. Good luck, wish I could help you!

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  10. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Jan 18, 2010
    Thanks for the reply jossanne.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by