Feather impacted?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nebbo, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Nebbo

Nebbo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2007
    Kingston, WA
    My "americauna" roo has a strange "growth" that I think is an impaction or other problem with one of his tail feathers. The skin is extruded in the shape of a feather shaft for about 1/2". There appears to be a little wisp of feather poking out the end, and it's oozing rusty orange puss. Has anybody ever seen this before? I put some antibiotic ointment on it. Do I leave it alone or treat it somehow?

Thanks!

Neb in Western WA

2. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Hmmm, I have never heard of this. It sounds like you are doing the right thing, with the antibiotic. Could you lance it just a tiny bit to see if the feather will pop out? Or pull on the feather lightly with tweezers to see if it moves?

Make sure you have something to stop the bleeding handy in case it does bleed.

Oh yeah, and also be sure the antibiotic ointment does not have a pain reliever in it, since "caine" medications have very bad effects on chickens.

Good luck.

3. Nebbo

Nebbo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2007
    Kingston, WA
    Thanks for your input! I'm thinking along the same lines as you. Will check the boy again tomorrow and see how it's going.

4. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Good, let us know how he is doing tomorrow.

5. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Be certain, before you do anything with it, that it is not his preen gland. The preen gland looks much like what you describe, and it contains all the oil that he needs to spread over his feathers to keep them in good condition.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by