Feather issue in month old chick

slicvickie

Songster
8 Years
Apr 6, 2015
Minnesota
I've had my flock of 12 for a month now, so they are 5 weeks old. There is one Australorp that is not growing feathers on her back or wings. She doesn't appear to be getting picked on by the others. When I am in the coop, she acts like the others, seems to be eating and drinking normally. In general, no different from the others. Just the feathers. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20220629_204403.jpg
    20220629_204403.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220629_204511.jpg
    20220629_204511.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220628_155043.jpg
    20220628_155043.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220628_155036.jpg
    20220628_155036.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220628_155025.jpg
    20220628_155025.jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220628_155005.jpg
    20220628_155005.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 7
Heat from the incubator, heater, or momma hen is what makes the chicks feathers grow. Do you have them under a heater. maybe try lowering it? It sounds like the others are whats the problem though. it could be that some of the others are roosters and so is he. Best to separate them if so.

Might be worth reviewing the food situation on this one.

What it the protein content on the feed? And is this one being blocked from eating by the others?

Additionally, are any treats being provided? If so, what is being provided?

The feed is Naturwise 18% protein, non medicated, starter grower. She seems to be getting her share of time at the feeder as well as waterer. They haven't had much for treats yet, just a handful of prepackaged mealworms every couple of days. I just started adding some chick grit about 3 days ago.
They were sold as all females and I haven't noticed any of the rooster characteristics in any of the 12. But they are only 5 weeks. This is my first venture into chickens, so I don't have any experience in telling the difference.
I haven't seen any of the others picking on her, and she seems to be holding her own in the pecking order dance. Which, as a newbie, is pretty darn amusing! The rest of them look like birds, but this one looks so much like a little dinosaur, I have named her Petrie!
I'm in Minnesota with days in the 80's and nights in the 60's. They have a heat lamp that comes on at 9pm and off at 8 am. She is usually in the cuddle puddle when they gather together, at various times of the day, so I don't think she is being shunned from the group. Should I maybe leave the heat lamp on longer and or lower it?
The rest of them seem to be thriving, so I'm curious why this one is so different.

The feed is Naturwise 18% protein, non medicated, starter grower. She seems to be getting her share of time at the feeder as well as waterer. They haven't had much for treats yet, just a handful of prepackaged mealworms every couple of days. I just started adding some chick grit about 3 days ago.
They were sold as all females and I haven't noticed any of the rooster characteristics in any of the 12. But they are only 5 weeks. This is my first venture into chickens, so I don't have any experience in telling the difference.
I haven't seen any of the others picking on her, and she seems to be holding her own in the pecking order dance. Which, as a newbie, is pretty darn amusing! The rest of them look like birds, but this one looks so much like a little dinosaur, I have named her Petrie!
I'm in Minnesota with days in the 80's and nights in the 60's. They have a heat lamp that comes on at 9pm and off at 8 am. She is usually in the cuddle puddle when they gather together, at various times of the day, so I don't think she is being shunned from the group. Should I maybe leave the heat lamp on longer and or lower it?
The rest of them seem to be thriving, so I'm curious why this one is so different.

Probably has the slow-feather gene if all else is normal and like the others.

She'll need heat longer than the others do. I had that with 2 slow-feathering Black Langshans last spring.

Yea, this one sounds overall healthy. And I'd have to agree that this might just be the genetics calling the shots on this one. Might have to keep this one in the brooder for a little extra time until it feathers out, but should overall be a healthy bird growing up.

And yea, the pecking order dances are always so much fun to watch. Gotta love tiny innocent looking creatures try to act all big and tough. Just wait until they discover their wings - someone will start "flying" and just zoom across the brooder and slam into another bird. From the other room, you will hear a harsh "cheep!" of a very upset collision victim.

Well I was gone for the weekend and now 4 days later, this little one has still not grown any feathers! If anything, she has lost more. When I picked her up to check her over, she is hot! None of the others feels like this. I can see where the feathers are growing in places,and it still doesn't look like she is getting picked on or pecked. I see no indication of fleas or mites or anything like that.
She is now visibly smaller than the others.

Attachments

• 20220704_190045.jpg
    20220704_190045.jpg
    451 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220704_190121.jpg
    20220704_190121.jpg
    467.4 KB · Views: 5
I had a Whiting True Blue that was similar, it looked so much worse as it grew. There wasn’t enough fluff to cover the rapidly growing body m! Never saw it picked on, healthy in all other ways. Eventually it grew perfect adult feathers and I could barely tell it apart from my other solid black. Not a roo like my tiny slow feathering Orpington

Back
Top Bottom