Feather issue on Pet Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SouthDakotan, Apr 2, 2015.

1. SouthDakotan

SouthDakotan Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a strange condition happening with my little muscovy hen. She is now a "pet" due to her loosing her toes & webs to last winter's early freezing temps and she was a late hatchling.

She doesn't have "angel wing" but something else going on with her feathers. The newer pin feathers are "knobby" in appearance & arent' forming correctly. I can't figure out what I could be feeding her that could do it since she gets the same feed as the other ducks that are out in the duck house. She got sprouts, cooked green beans and lettuce over the winter as well as scratch & wild game bird feed.

So what can cause the feather shafts to be "knobby" with lumpy spurts of growth in their appearance?

I will try to post a picture of her close up asap.

2. SouthDakotan

SouthDakotan Chillin' With My Peeps

Here are the photos of Lucky Bebek & her feather issue.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Until about two months ago her feathers all looked great. Then I started seeing this rippling effect happening. As if the were folded inside the shaft for too long or something. Just can't figure out what is happening.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Usually feather issues are lack of something in their diet mainly protein since that is basically what feathers are. What percent of protein is in the Game bird feed? the scratch isn't giving her much in nutrients and the other vegetables you mentioned are good but aren't giving her much in the way of protein either. Did she just go through molt? my Muscovy's molt in the fall of the year. I'd think about checking her diet first. I know Purina makes a Flock Raiser that has protein around 22% plus you could add a good poultry vitamin a couple times a week and see if that helps. Does she get to forage for bugs which is another way to get some needed protein? Hopefully next big molt these feathers will fall out and new healthy ones will grown back in. Some ducks just like people don't always process nutrients in the same way so what might be working for one or more may not work for this one. Does she get to bathe regularly too?And another thing have you looked close at her shafts lice can build up on feather shafts also .Parasites aren't that common on water fowl because they bathe regularly but during winter months can't always get to bath often.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by