Feather Issues

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Snert, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Snert

Snert New Egg

Oct 14, 2011
    Hi
    This is my first post and I hope that someone may be able to help. My chickens (not sure what breed but think they are Isa Browns) are usually a happy bunch but one is a little down on her luck at he moment. I have noticed that over the last couple of days she has had a lot of faeces build up on her feathers, so today I got in with a bucket of warm water and some disinfectant and gave her a clean. No maggots thank God but she does have a build up of some sort at the base of her feathers. It kind of looks like a matted hair ball at the base of the feathers around her vent. Any ideas as to what this may be, if it is a problem, and what I can do if needed?

Cheers
    Snert

2. ChurkLover

ChurkLover Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    St. Louis
    Is there any way you can post a picture which may help?

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

4. Snert

Snert New Egg

Oct 14, 2011
    Cheers Imp
    That is exactly what it looks like!!
    Next question is what do I do about it. Only one of the six seem to be affected but I will treat them all just in case.
    Snert

Never mind, should have read further down the page...what a dope!

Thanks for your prompt responses I shall be off to my friendly pet store tomorrow morning to gather supplies and make my girls a happy lot again.

Happy in Tassie.

Snert

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

A lot of people report finding Sevin 5% in the garden section, of the store. You can also use poultry dust from the feedstore. Be sure to retreat in 10-14 days.

BTW- [​IMG]

Good Luck

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by