Feather issues

Discussion in 'Quail' started by redshoulderfox, Jan 31, 2015.

1. redshoulderfox

redshoulderfox Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    I have Bantam Coturnix(almost 2 years olds) that are missing down feathers and other feathers. What are some things that could cause this problem?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  2. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Is she still laying, she could be molting.

3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Your other birds are picking them off or they are in too small a cage and walking on each other. Unless you are doing something crazy with lights they shouldn't be molting this time of year.

4. redshoulderfox

redshoulderfox Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    I believe the lights are the problem but i'm not sure. I have been keeping them under a heat light every day all winter long. Like you said this is not a good idea because they can lose down feathers but they have been losing other feathers too. I plan on using the light less often next winter but not this winter because with the missing feathers they would freeze. But i have bantam coturnix, a golden manchurian, two tuxedos and a Roux. The bantams are not as good as the other three varieties when it comes to dealing with the cold. They all live in the same hutch so what would be your suggestion for how often I use a heat light?

5. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

If your birds are molting there will be a large excess of feathers on the ground. They usually won't molt for artificial lights unless you are switching the timing of the lights around. Even though you don't see them picking 98% of the time that's why coturnix are missing feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by