Feather legged Bantams...Maybe Cochins?....Hopefully hens!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by snoutpuss, Nov 7, 2010.

1. snoutpuss

snoutpuss New Egg

Oct 29, 2010
    A friend recently gave me two bantams from an order of day old chicks. They are now about 41/2 weeks old. The hatchery said they would be either Silkies, Buff Brahmas, Belgian (Mille fleu) or Cochin Frizzles. I had a hard time getting decent pics but maybe someone can help me id them. The darker reddish one is Bacon and the white one is Pancake (my kids named them). Also I'm hoping they are both hens because town ord. says I can't keep a rooster. Pancake has grown faster and appears to be the stronger/smarter one. However, recently Bacon, the darker one, has developed a larger comb and his tail feathers seem to be more roosterish. Everything i've read says the rooster should be more active and grow faster but Bacon is by far the slower growing and more docile one. Also Pancake, the white one, is the only one that roosts at night if that means anything. These are our first chickens so if anyone can id these guys that would be great.

[​IMG]

Heres Pancake
    [​IMG]

And Bacon
    [​IMG]

and the suspicous comb
    [​IMG]

2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    In the one picture Bacon appears to have a red comb and waddles already. Coul dbe a boy. [​IMG]

3. JenEric Farms

JenEric Farms GOOGLE GENIUS

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    Can you post a picture of pancakes comb? Might not be a cochin...

4. snoutpuss

snoutpuss New Egg

Oct 29, 2010
    These are the best shots of Pancakes comb that I could get. She's very active.
    Not sure if they are cochins myself. Just my best guess after reading up, no chicken experience at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    pankacke is a lite brama X roo

6. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Bacon looks just like my partridge cochin I ordered.

7. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    very poor quality light brahma and partridge cochin and they r both roos to me.....

8. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Yes Pancake looks like a light brahma rooster hatchery quality one...here was mine at about 16wks
    [​IMG]

Goose again at 25 weeks
    [​IMG]

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yep, Pancake's a really poor quality Brahma, Bacon is a Partridge Cochin.

They both look to be boys, but I'd wait if I were you.

10. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    How can you say they are "poor quality" when they haven't gotten their adult feathering yet? They will lose those feathers two or three more times before you can tell what they are going to look like as adults. I think the poor quality tag has been applied a little premature....just sayin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by