Feather-legged cock bird with inflamed feather shafts(?)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wynette, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I've got an adult feather-legged rooster - I noticed his legs seemed irritated, so I inspected and it appears the feather shaft follicles are a bit inflamed, and that the feathers have either been pecked out, or have fallen out. At first I thought leg mites, but I don't see any scales lifted. He's actually got spots of blood near the follicles, too.

It's on both of his legs, the outside of the leg. ALSO - the INSIDE of each leg has what seems to be a rash? Seems strange...I've heard that feather-legged breeds often have trouble with the leg feathering (such as this). Is this what's going on, and if not, any ideas? Is there anything I can do? He doens't appear to be in any pain or uncomfortable in any way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inside of leg:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  2. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    That poor guy. I would not rule out leg mites. You can coat everyday with vaseline or baby oil. Will take care of mites and also condition legs and help get them back in good health without using a harsh medication. Best of luck to him.

3. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    I agree with chickenlady. Coat with vaseline every few days and see if things improve. Are the other chickens pecking at his legs to cause the blood spots or is he pecking himself?

Just to be on the safe side i would treat everyone with poultry dust and check out the coop (especially the roost) at night to see if you do have mites and have to treat the coop it's self.

A dusting of poultry powder never hurts and could head off a huge problem.

Keep us posted.[​IMG]

4. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    It looks a little more than just irritation from foot feathers. I would treat for mites as the others said. Mine gets red, too, but his feet don't look scaley or dry like that.

5. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Thanks for your feedback. I did check them all thoroughly for mites - all the ones in that pen, and didn't see anything, but my eyesight isn't the best close up. I figured I'd go ahead & dust with Sevin and then try the baby oil or vaseline. I may use Bag Balm - it's got a mild antiseptic in it. THanks again!

6. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    Bag balm is a good choice...Hope he gets better keep us posted... [​IMG]

7. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Thanks much, 3chickens!

8. Nif

Nif Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Sevin is very harsh and bad for everyone and environment...try pyrethrin, also called poutry dust...it will kill mites.
    I think that the mites that are on the legs are different than mites on the body. The leg type are probably microscopic.
    Like mange on mammals...mange is a microscopic mite, and there are at least three different species of mange that I know of.

Your Maran egg picture is awesome, I just love those eggs! I have a Maran mix (her other half is a Black Star) I call her a Cuckoo Star, she's a beautiful hen and a great layer.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Many mites are microscopic. I very definitely believe that he has mites. It may not be the scaley leg mite; it might be a feather mite instead. Personally I would treat his legs with pour-on ivermectin, then oil them with body, olive or safflower oil that will absorb into the skin. Featherlegged birds and vaseline or bag balm or other greasy ointments do not mix well. Reapply the oil every other day.

For the ivermectin, mix the dose with an equal amount of oil, then syringe/dropper the entire amount onto the worst areas of each leg.

10. Nif

Nif Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Ohio
    I like Sonoran Silkies remedy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by