Feather legged sebright! Supposed to be purebred. PICS

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by vetgirl00us, May 13, 2010.

1. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    I have 17 silver sebrights that came from Cackle Hatchery as one day old chicks. I just noticed that one of them has black feathers growing down its legs. Not on the feet but down to them. Does this mean my birds may not be pure? The chicks are 2 1/2 weeks old.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    That doesn't sound like a Sebright to me. Do you have any pictures?

3. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Well...I've never seen a sebright with leg feathers and it's definitely not in the standard of perfection for that breed.

4. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
  5. vetgirl00us

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    Hmmmm, wonder what they are breeding up there???? [​IMG] Lemme go see if I can get pics and get them uploaded to here.

6. vetgirl00us

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    Ok here goes-[​IMG]

7. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    well they get their eggs from breeders so maybe a rogue rooster flew in the coop for a visit, that's why we have breeder quality and hatchery quality, i also wonder if it's a fluke or a throw back from years ago, just watch it and see if they fall off when it gets older, just compare the other body parts to the others when they mature

8. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Could it be a bantam silver laced cochin? The hatchery may have simply mixed up a chick in the sebright bin.

9. vetgirl00us

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    Well, I don't mind. I didn't know that hatchery birds were substandard when I ordered them or I would've got eggs/ birds/ chicks from a show breeder. I don't want to show but I don't want to bring the breed down by breeding substandard birds. We had planned on keeping the best looking and using them for breeders but I don't know if I want Sebrights or not. I'm already into OEBG's, D'uccles and getting Seramas. Got some white faced black spanish bantams too with the Cackle group and two of them have white feathers on their wings when they are supposed to be coal black. Ugh.

I researched the breed standard and don't see anywhere that had feather legged birds.

10. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Nope not pure sebrite.They are clean leg bird's. One of the prettiest bird's I ever got that was feather footed was when my silver laced bred one of my white frizzle hen's.It may turn out to be a fair looking bird so don't give up on it yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by